Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Custom V Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Custom V Road King Classic

I am in the market to buy a bike finally after years of misery. I am considering purchasing a used Road King Custom.Could any of you good people point out to me what the advantages or disadvantages may be if I was top purchase a Road King Custom instad of the Road kign Classic.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
cigarmutt
5th Gear

Good luck with the hunt. I had a 2005 RK custom up until about one month ago. I loved that bike and had no intention of getting rid of it, I just came upon a great deal on a brand new 08 FLHT I couldn't pass up. Besides, the dealer gave me more for the custom than I paid for it a year earlier. Anyway, the custom and the RK are the same bike, except for little pieces of trim and different bags. If you like the hard bags go for a RK, if you like the hard leather bags, go for the custom. The custom sits lower and has beach bars if it is stock, mine had mini-apes. All depends upon your taste, they don't make the custom anymore, so may be a bike to hold onto.....good luck in your quest.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

I always loved the Road King Custom! Just a little less chrome-dressed on the fenders & less nostalgic-lookin' than the Classic...that's about all. Both have leather bags & honestly, I kinda like the Custom's style leather bags better. The Custom, to me, just looks like a tougher, sportier version of the Road King that displays somewhat of a Fatboy attitude to it. I love my classic, but I'd buy a Road King Custom in a heartbeat!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer

Are you looking to tool around town or take off down the highways? 1-up or 2-up?

Around town I'd take a Custom, but for touring I'd get the Classic. The customs have slightly smaller bags, no windshield (can add one), passenger foot pegs (rather than boards). I believe that all Classics came with factory cruise which is nice when taking 500+ miles a day.

A little more information on what your looking to do with the bike would help us give you the pro.s and cons

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much the same bike. The headlight may be a little different and the custom comes with beach bar styled handlebars. I think the custom has cast aluminum wheels and black walls as opposed to lace spokes and wide white walls that comes with the classic. The classic comes with cruise control. I'm not sure but I don't think the custom or standard Road King has cruise.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
redrocker
Cruiser

Loved the custom, wish they would not have done away with it.
You can get Cruise on the Road King as an option.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
framer
Road Captain

the classics look good with white walls...the customs dont IMHO

Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
mac0478
Road Captain

Thanks for your responses. Can the cruise control be fitted to the custom? I want a bike that I can cruise through town on and enjoy a road trip with my wife.

Is there any great suspension differences between the two bikes?

I have to say, the wealth of information in these forums is incredible...you guys are great!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
mac0478
Road Captain

Just a thought, is it hard to maintain the spoked wheels? I imagine it would be difficult to maintain the shine of the spokes.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same bike except for looks, do you want classic or HotRod looks?? Buy what you like the looks of.

Quick Reply: Road King Custom V Road King Classic