Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to the ACC Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 AM
bigalsd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Access to the ACC Switch?

I searched for about 2 hours for the answer to this question... I want to gain access to the ACC switch on the dash. How do I get the plastic bezel removed? I assume that I need to get the ignition removed first... How do I get the ignition off? I want to hard wire a Garmin GPS power wire to the switch without going thru the adapter under the seat. I want to connect it to that switch so I have a short run to the handlebars.

Thanks for all the help on these forums!

Allan

Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
iambill
Tourer

Unfortunatly I cant help you with the acc switch ( but I would like to know how to get in there as well ). However as for hardwiring the Garmin you can go to the headlight ( I think there is an extra wire there for you to hook up to ). But I just wired it to the back of the cigarette lighter. Either way it's a pretty fast hook up and will turn on and off with your ignition.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the ignition switch by turning to the left and inserting the key. Push down and turn the key counter clockwise while holding the button under the switch. Unscrew the nut and remove the spacer under the switch. The fairing cap comes off with two screws, one on on each side. You now have access to the underside of the acc switch.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't done this before I recommend getting the service manual. I'm going by memory and one time experience here. You turn the ignition to the lock position, take a small screwdriver and depress the button on the under side of the switch and the unit will pop out DO NOT MOVE THE SWITCH ONCE IT HAS BEEN PULLED OUT. Lining it up afterwards is a PIA (ask me how I know). Spend the money on the manual it has loads of useful information.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bigalsd
I searched for about 2 hours for the answer to this question... I want to gain access to the ACC switch on the dash. How do I get the plastic bezel removed? I assume that I need to get the ignition removed first... How do I get the ignition off? I want to hard wire a Garmin GPS power wire to the switch without going thru the adapter under the seat. I want to connect it to that switch so I have a short run to the handlebars.
First, you don't need to have the ignition-switch **** in the fork-lock position (pointing to left) if you don't want to. I prefer having it pointing up with forks unlocked because if they're locked the plastic cover is almost impossible to remove. You need to be able to move the forks around.

Remove the ignition **** as explained earlier, but you don't need a small screwdriver if you have a small hand. Just slip your little finger under the **** and push up on the latch as you turn the key. You can remove it in about 3 sec. this way. Also as mentioned, don't replace the **** and turn it unless the spring and washers under the **** are in their correct places. If you do you will get the tumblers out of whack and getting them back in whack is an adventure without a special HD tool. The plastic cover is held on only by two screws, one on each side.

Once you can see the backside of the ACC switch, you have two choices. If you want a constant switched (by ignition) source, splice into the O/R wire. If you want it double-switched (ignition and the ACC switch) use the O wire.

Last edited by iclick; 05-31-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

seems to me that going from the plug under the seat is alot easier. why would you want to go thru all the trouble of getting to the switch itself? a few extra feet of wire and you're done. go looking for trouble and you'll find it imo.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
bigalsd
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the help guys! I am about to go give it a shot...

Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
seems to me that going from the plug under the seat is alot easier. why would you want to go thru all the trouble of getting to the switch itself? a few extra feet of wire and you're done. go looking for trouble and you'll find it imo.
He prolly doesn't want to run the wire under the tank, which is a hassle. When I first installed my GPS I used the O/R wire at the ACC switch, then later moved it to the unused connector near the headlight. I never used the ACC switch to toggle the GPS, but instead used only the ignition switch. As I said before the O/R wire is unswitched by ACC and the O wire is switched whether at the switch at the fairing or connector under the seat.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
bigalsd
2nd Gear

After further research, I went the way iclick did. I used the open accessory wires that were attached to the headlight and ran the wire thru the clutch cable grommet. I attached my Garmin to this mount http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D4 . It looks great with and without the GPS attached. Take a look at the pic! The seller of the mount created it from scratch and has awesome customer service.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
jpscscs
Novice

Just wired my Garmin to the lead off the headlight last weekend and no problems. Very easy job!