Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shield VS. Clearview Recurve

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tphillips
I may be able to participate in this comparison -- if the CV 10 1/2" ever gets here... I've got the 10" Windvest on the Ultra now, and while it is much better than the stock (wind protection AND ability to see over the top) it is so radical in its "recurve" at the top that it may be disrupting the wind flow, creating a low pressure area just above my head where the buffeting is quite intense. The guys at CV already said they think I'll be happier with their product, as it is "slipperier" and the wind isn't forced to change direction harshly at the top of the windshield. We shall see...

More if / when the CV arrives.....

Keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I orderd a 9.5 Clearview with recurve this Monday and it was just dropped off!! Took 4 days from order to delivery!!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Seener84
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a Longride 9" Thanks for the writeup, I was bummed there was a 3-4 week wait on clearview because of a trip coming up, but now I should get it in time to test it out first even!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tphillips
I may be able to participate in this comparison -- if the CV 10 1/2" ever gets here... I've got the 10" Windvest on the Ultra now, and while it is much better than the stock (wind protection AND ability to see over the top) it is so radical in its "recurve" at the top that it may be disrupting the wind flow, creating a low pressure area just above my head where the buffeting is quite intense. The guys at CV already said they think I'll be happier with their product, as it is "slipperier" and the wind isn't forced to change direction harshly at the top of the windshield. We shall see...

More if / when the CV arrives.....
UPDATE ************ UPDATE ********** UPDATE

Just got the Clearview TODAY (took a little more than 3 weeks) and gave it a comparison ride before unwrapping it. NOTE: The comparison is to the Windvest I had on the bike for several weeks. Here is what I observed:

First off, the Windvest is very boxy, with the sides of the windshield going straight up, then curving directly into the top of the windshield. However, the "recurve" of the Windvest is very radical and actually disrupts air flow, creating a low pressure area just above the rider's head and -- for me, at 5'11" -- creates significant buffeting at the top of the helmet. It also creates turbulence for the passenger's face/helmet. It is more like a sail when it comes to the affect on steering. However, the 10" windshield offers great visibility when looking over it -- though quite distorted when looking through it.

The Clearview, at 10.5" is actually 1" taller than the 10" Windvest. This puts the top of the windshield at the bottom of my normal line of sight. Still able to look over it, though. But the recurve is not as radical and actually gives the impression of being more streamlined and redirects the wind upward without the radical buffeting of the Windvest. It doesn't create a buffeting affect, but is smoother airflow just above the rider's head. The passenger is getting wind above the rider's helmet, but not buffeted. The steering is not as affected by the wind, either.

It was interesting in riding tonight (which is why I have no pictures), as the Windvest had bugs splatted just about 1" below the top of the winshield where the wind took a radical turn back and up -- and the Clearview did not have any bugs splatted on it, though test ride was same roads and distance. It is as if the bugs were "caught" in that lip of the windshield.

For now, I am going with the Clearview. I've gone from stock to Cee Bailey's to Windvest -- and now the Clearview. If I had one "free shot" at trying one more windshield, I'd try the 9" Clearview (because of the line of sight) but would probably sacrifice the wind protection I need for my eyes.

Hope that all helps! Yeah, no pix -- it was already dark tonight when test riding....

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 AM
bpez317
Cruiser

Just got the 9.5 Clearview recurve on Fri. Took off for Key West Sat. All the buffeting I had from the stocker is gone. I'm 6'4" and easily look over the shield, but look through the shield also. No distortion at all in the recurve section.

Attached Thumbnails Long Ride Shield VS. Clearview Recurve-cimg3401.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I was really pleased with my CV for my RG.
I ordered a 10.5 CV with recurve for my new '10 SG. I think my son
will want one for his SG and scrap that stock piece of sh*t.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I put a 10.5" Clear View on my Ultra a week ago. I'm 6 foot tall and now look a few inches over the CV. I'm surprised how little air hits me - the recurve does direct most air over my head.

I feel just a slight bit of buffeting at 70+mph but so slight that I can barely detect it.

I bought a blem for 20% off and if I told you there was a blem you still might not be able to notice it. It shipped the day after I ordered it.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
RobertG2233
2nd Gear
Default Windshields which one

well ive seen alot of good posts and info so far. I currently have the 6.5in Klockworks dark grey tint shield on my aftermarket fairing (hoppe Industries) which i love by the way. but not completely satisfied with the product. any definitive answers as to which is better The Long Ride shields, Windvest or clearview. the long ride look and price seems appealing. would appreciate any input from your experiences. thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the reviews guys! It's an honor to be pitted against these well established brands. If you have any technical questions, I can borrow one of our engineers for answers.

I took a glance at some search results and will post links to a few threads started by others about our products. Most of it deals with our customer service, but there is some comparative information as well.

Thanks again guys, and happy hunting.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...pressions.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...e-shields.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-service.html

www.longrideshields.com

Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
racerdave
Cruiser

2 weeks ago I sold my 9.5 Clearview recurve to help finance a 10.5 Clearview recurve. 2 days after I ordered the 10.5 Clearview I found about about Longride. I will try them next time. Clearview told me 3 weeks to ship. I also didnot see a 10.5 on Longrides site.

Last edited by racerdave; 09-10-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Long Ride Shield VS. Clearview Recurve