Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to like the 4" SG sheild

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting to like the 4" SG sheild

I bought my SG in the cold winter so put a 12" shield on and have been riding around with it till this past weekend. I took a quick ride w/the 4" a few weeks back and didn't like it. This weekend in Laconia it was so warm and with the traffic I threw on the 4" I really like it now. At 75 it's a little less protection than I'd like..but it's great otherwise. I think I may search for a 6 or 7" and that would do me OK. I'm 6'4" but I'm surprised how much wind the batwing deflects on its own.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Starting to like the 4" SG sheild

Running a 6" black Fastaire, looks right on the bike, with the black side deflectors.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend FastAire (see my post about them from a few minutes ago. long story short - PO lost it, no insurance - said he'd send another when I sent an email saying I never got it.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_532084/tm.htm

Old 06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The 4" can be a lot of fun if the wind conditions are right and you're not planning on doing 200 miles. It makes the bike feel quicker and more nimble for sure. It reminds me of when I would take off my full size windshield on my Fatboy....the feeling of how much more nimble the bike was. If it is a real windy day, for me the turbulence can be horrible with the short shield, and even with taller ones in 30 mph winds. I'm currently riding with a 6" that I like, not quite as nimble as the 4" but does offer more protection and is a comprimise for the 100 degree heat in Dallas. I still get buffetting and I honestly believe that Batwing fairings without 12" stock shields, 10-12" custom sheilds or the 12-13" Cee Baileys cause more noise than a Softtail without a windshield.

For good protection for me it has to be at least 9", and an ideal would likely be higher yet. I had a 13" Cee Bailey that seemed to work better than anything, but the groove where it fits to the fastener broke the day I got it...they are replacing it. It seemed to work better than anything thus far, although I did pick up a couple of the "half moon" shields from the customFLHT shields company that have wings over the area of the fairing where the speakers are . They REALLY work nicely and look real bad ***. Sorry I don't have a link..but they are worth checking out for sure.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
2006 Street Glide4me
Advanced

Ordered (and paid for) a 13" contoured windscreen from Cee Bailey's on June 4th and haven't heard a word from them yet. I did call a week ago and they confirmed they received the order. Over two weeks and it apparently hasn't been made or shipped. Poor customer service and delivery time in this day and age don't win repeat customers, or new customers from this board for that matter.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
orcas tow
Cruiser

JC I will make you a screamin deal on a new cee baileys 12" smoked sheild,I installed it & decided to go back to the stock sheild for freeway riding & keep the 9" for around town riding, e mail me if interested susol@centurytel.net

Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Danester
Road Master

DITTO on the Fastaire - -- FASTAIRE ROCKS!

www.fastaire.com

Got mine a while back -- hasn't come off since (8in Dark Smoked)

Old 06-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Wookalar
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2006 Street Glide4me

Ordered (and paid for) a 13" contoured windscreen from Cee Bailey's on June 4th and haven't heard a word from them yet. I did call a week ago and they confirmed they received the order. Over two weeks and it apparently hasn't been made or shipped. Poor customer service and delivery time in this day and age don't win repeat customers, or new customers from this board for that matter.
You got me worried now. I too ordered one around June 1st and still nothing. Hmmmm......

Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

The 4" can be a lot of fun if the wind conditions are right and you're not planning on doing 200 miles. It makes the bike feel quicker and more nimble for sure. It reminds me of when I would take off my full size windshield on my Fatboy....the feeling of how much more nimble the bike was. If it is a real windy day, for me the turbulence can be horrible with the short shield, and even with taller ones in 30 mph winds. I'm currently riding with a 6" that I like, not quite as nimble as the 4" but does offer more protection and is a comprimise for the 100 degree heat in Dallas. I still get buffetting and I honestly believe that Batwing fairings without 12" stock shields, 10-12" custom sheilds or the 12-13" Cee Baileys cause more noise than a Softtail without a windshield.

For good protection for me it has to be at least 9", and an ideal would likely be higher yet. I had a 13" Cee Bailey that seemed to work better than anything, but the groove where it fits to the fastener broke the day I got it...they are replacing it. It seemed to work better than anything thus far, although I did pick up a couple of the "half moon" shields from the customFLHT shields company that have wings over the area of the fairing where the speakers are . They REALLY work nicely and look real bad ***. Sorry I don't have a link..but they are worth checking out for sure.
The buffetting is all in relation to rider height, windsheild height and size of helmet head though..cause I do get some, but not a lot with the 4" with my helmet. Without the helmet it is fine. I'm 6'4". NH doesn't require a helmets, rarely do I ride w/one unless I'm in Mass. Cold weather riding I will put the 12" back on. For now though, I think I'm going to go with a 6 or 8. I'll definitely give Fastaire a look too as they seem to be a good value and everyone likes them.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:48 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

At 5' 10", I found the 4" SG wind deflector, while cool-looking, created too much buffeting at my eye level. I wanted a slightly taller deflector but wanted to keep the original look as much as possible. I considered Fastaire but eventually went with the H-D smoked 6.5 inch that comes standard on the SE Ultra. I'm very happy with it. Buffeting, if I get any, is at the top of my helmet. Riding in SoCal, cold weather's not an issue so I can keep the 6.5 inch year round. As a side effect, I can hear music better than with the 4".

Adam