Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ignition switch ****

Hey every one. I'm having a problem installing my ignition switch and could use some help. My bike is 2011 Ultra Classic SE and I was having trouble getting it out of the lock position. Since the closest dealer is 420 miles from me, I decided to see if I could fix it myself, rather than trailer the bike across the border and leaving it there. Found a broken part inside the ****, so I ordered a new switch ****. While I was waiting for the switch ****, I released the bike from the lock position so I could use the bike. I Have all the manuals for the bike and followed them while installing the switch.
I moved the handle bars to the locked position. Then placed the key in the switch and moved it to the unlock position. I pressed the button under the **** in and turned the key counter clockwise to lock the button in. I then placed the **** into the switch facing the lock position and while pushing down on the **** turned the key to the right until I heard it click.
Here is my problem. I can't turn the **** out of the lock position. I removed the **** and repeated the procedure several times, all with the same results. Hopefully some one here has the answer. Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
Hey every one. I'm having a problem installing my ignition switch and could use some help. My bike is 2011 Ultra Classic SE and I was having trouble getting it out of the lock position. Since the closest dealer is 420 miles from me, I decided to see if I could fix it myself, rather than trailer the bike across the border and leaving it there. Found a broken part inside the ****, so I ordered a new switch ****. While I was waiting for the switch ****, I released the bike from the lock position so I could use the bike. I Have all the manuals for the bike and followed them while installing the switch.
I moved the handle bars to the locked position. Then placed the key in the switch and moved it to the unlock position. I pressed the button under the **** in and turned the key counter clockwise to lock the button in. I then placed the **** into the switch facing the lock position and while pushing down on the **** turned the key to the right until I heard it click.
Here is my problem. I can't turn the **** out of the lock position. I removed the **** and repeated the procedure several times, all with the same results. Hopefully some one here has the answer. Thanks
More then likely, the tumblers are not aligned properly. What part broke off in there? That may help us help you also.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a "search" on this site, there is a video that explains how to remove/install the ignition locking switch you describe. It may also be on youtube.com, just do a search for it on there or here, but it is out there.
Good luck.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
tombeving
Road Master

The ignition switch **** is new and came with keys. The part that was originally broken was the black plastic bracket that holds the locking mechanism and the push button under the ****

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
The youtube.com video can be found under "Harley ignition switch removal". Take care and hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
tombeving
Road Master

Just a quick update. I figured it out. I have the 2011 touring service manual and the SE touring manual supplement. It seems that with the power locks you need to do just the opposite that the service manual and the video tells you. Like an a$$hole, I was using the supplement manual for the wiring instructions and the regular manual for the installation of the switch ****. I followed the instructions in the supplement and all is well.