Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil at 500 milrs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 AM
FAUVDOG
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default changing oil at 500 milrs

Just cracked 500 miles on my 103 glide,should i change the oil or wait till 1k ,reason i ask is took it for a nice ride last night got home and the motor was clacking like hell,remonded me of my old dodge rod knock,i have recently installed pcv,v hines dresser duals and se heavy breather,it does pop intermittently on deaccel or upshifting not sure if thats contributing to anything or not,i have read posts that says the 103 does make noise

Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

One thing, ( clacking like hell,) has nothing to do with the other, ( 500 mile old oil.)

Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Agree w/Stiggy...change the oil if you want to $pend the ca$h...especially if you ran the MotoTune new engine break-in procedure.

Who installed your UG suite??? I'd say your tune's off & could have exhaust leak...for starters.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
smat45
Tourer

If you got the $$ change it...peace of mind. On mine (35k) the crackling is just cooling down...it's like a ping and crackling of the heat shields.

nice scoot.

smat

Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Not enough information supplied here. If you are not mechanically inclined, then take it back to where you bought it and have them look at it. If you have fried the motor because of something you have bolted on, they will no doubt tell you that. If not, they might fix whatever is wrong under warranty. If you are new, you have no idea how many things they weasel out of by declaring it "A Wear Item". The fact that you paid an exorbitant amount of money for your new toy has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the level of service you get from the dealer. After you purchase your new bike the sales department essentially hands you off to the service department. The sales department does not want to mess with you anymore because they have, well... made the sale. The people in the service department also do not act like they work for the same dealership that the sales departments works for. For some reason they seem like they are worlds apart when it comes to customer satisfaction. Salesmen don't like to hang out around the service department because that is where so many disgrunteled customers are. The guy who you thought of as "Bill, my friend at the Harley shop who sold me the new bike" will eventually be referred to as "that lying sob who raped me".

Normally, the first service oil change occurs at 1000 miles. This is where many get the shock of their lives when they pay the bill. "I owe how much for an oil change"?
The second oil change at 5000 miles is more expensive as is the third etc., etc. I have read on these forums where some people even go so far as to refer to the dealers as "Stealers". Not sure where that comes from but you will figure it all out.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

That is normal, get used to it.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM
FAUVDOG
Cruiser

Engine isnt fried,its not exhaust crackling on cool down,i just warmed her up and retorqued flange bolts and did get some turns,took for a ride sounds better didnt pop as much and motor wasnt clacking and ran fine,i will get a hold of fuel moto to see if there is a different map they can send that might illiminate popping

Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face does pop intermittently on deaccel or upshifting...?

Originally Posted by FAUVDOG
Just cracked 500 miles on my 103 glide,should i change the oil or wait till 1k ,reason i ask is took it for a nice ride last night got home and the motor was clacking like hell,remonded me of my old dodge rod knock,i have recently installed pcv,v hines dresser duals and se heavy breather,it does pop intermittently on deaccel or upshifting not sure if thats contributing to anything or not,i have read posts that says the 103 does make noise
Did you install the PCV yourself...or the dealer? Were the O2 sensors disconnected? If they are still connected, the ECM is still trying to operate in closed -loop mode and will throw off the PCV maps completely.

If they are disconnected, perhaps the map needs a little enleanment in the 0% column. JMTC.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Changing the oil wont fix the sounds.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "clacking" noises are from things cooling off (like exhaust shields, etc.). That's normal. The oil is not related to these noises.

Personally, I change the oil around 500 and 1,000 miles on all my bikes. After that, I follow the regular change intervals. Most of the junk in the oil are generated during the first few miles.

Quick Reply: changing oil at 500 milrs