Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotube install question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Progressive Monotube install question...

Question about the install. Have my Progressive kit, standard height and HD Chrome front end kit as well so this is going to be a full dismantle and re-build, and yes I have the service manual. So for anyone who has done this my questions are:
1. I take it the only part I am not re-using from the stock forks are the springs?
2. I will install new fork seals even tho bike only has 5000km on it.
3. What about the 'C' shaped spacers? I have 4 in the Progressive kit but am sure I have read that some don't use 2 per side, some are only using 1. Just wondering why.

Sorry if these seem like obviouse questions, just want to be sure before I rip into the project. Thanks in advance for any information!!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain

1. You will know right away when you take it apart on what you will be reusing. There are some rings and other components you will be reusing. I replaced mine. Also I would recommend replacing the oil seals.
2. Yes new oil seals. Peace of mind.
3. I used all the spacers that came with the progressive kit in order to maintain stock height. Also if you look at the directions with the progressive kit it tells you about those c clips in the directions.
Good luck

Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just installed the mono tubes and chrome sliders in my Street Glide last week. To answer your questions:

1. You remove the springs, valves, etc. Basically everything in the fork tube.

2. New seals are a good idea.

3. The "C" shaped spacers are used to preload the spring. I called Progressive and it depends on your weight. I weigh 180 lbs and they said to use one per side.

My biggest hurdle was to unscrew the fork tube. Unless you have a vise with soft jaws, it's going to be very entertaining. Also don't forget that the hex screw at the bottom of the fork slider is metric (6 mm).

Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Thanks thenewrage. With regards to the spacers here is my dilema. I have a '11 RGC. I went 1" longer on the rear shocks to improve the ride. It worked. But am planning on doing a 21" front wheel, so I figure that if I only run one space it should drop it down to the point that the 21" would not throw off the balance too much, factoring in the increased height in the rear. Am I thinking backwards here? Don't really want to rip it apart in case I don't install all the spacers. I know I could have gone with the Progressive lowered kit but not a fan of getting the bike any lower than it is. Again, I could be looking at this backwards.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser

As far as unscrewing the fork tube, 6mm hex, I have heard it suggested to do this with the fender still installed to prevent the leg from spinning. Correct? If it is really tight could you risk tweaking the fender mounts and splitting paint? Thanks for the tips Cornel.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Cornel
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraDune
As far as unscrewing the fork tube, 6mm hex, I have heard it suggested to do this with the fender still installed to prevent the leg from spinning. Correct? If it is really tight could you risk tweaking the fender mounts and splitting paint? Thanks for the tips Cornel.
I did not want to risk tweaking the fender, so I just used a Phillips screwdriver in the caliper mounting holes in the fork tube to prevent the slider from spinning. Worked like a charm.

To answer your question regarding the "C" spacers, they do not lower, or raise the bike, they are used to preload the spring. (Well, i guess if the rider and passenger weight close to maximum GVW, it could aid in prevention of the suspension from sagging).)

Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser

How do you find the ride with 1 spacer? Im more in the 210 lbs range and ride 2-up quite a bit. Will probably run 2 then. Just looking through the instructions I see how it affects pre-load. I have done a ton of dirt bike forks but something about dismateling my 25k baby that is making me nervous!!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain

ultradune. I installed 18's on my bike which with low pro tires it essentially the same height as stock. I also installed ohlins rear shocks and they are 1" taller than the stock 12" street glide. If you ad a 21 tire I would just keep the front forks at stock height since you raised the rear but I would get a 2nd opinion on that. The ohlins sag when im riding it so it looks lower in the rear when Im riding and thats cool with me. While parked the rear is slightly higher than the front for me but I dont care about that, Im looking for the best ride here more than anything. Also I took the screws out of the bottom of the forks with an extra long 6mm allen head socket and an air impact gun. Came right out with the fender off. That part of the job was NOTHING! I had a 2nd set of hands and if I had to do it again it would go a lot quicker now that ive done it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Cornel
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraDune
How do you find the ride with 1 spacer? Im more in the 210 lbs range and ride 2-up quite a bit. Will probably run 2 then. Just looking through the instructions I see how it affects pre-load. I have done a ton of dirt bike forks but something about dismateling my 25k baby that is making me nervous!!
210 lbs, riding 2-up, you would use all 4 spacers.

Just follow the directions that came from Progressive, there are a couple of tutorials with pictures on this site, with the service manual, you should be good. Another tip is to remember to use a drop of red Loctite and new copper washers on the 6mm hex bolt when re-installing and make sure to use new copper washers on the drain screws as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Thanks for the replys guys. Good to go!