Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam Vs. Evo Engines???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
asheborogn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Twin Cam Vs. Evo Engines???

Alright guys, is there a huge power difference in an 80'' cammed Evo vs. a stock TC 88''? Just need some input.. Also, which one is more dependable or are they equally dependable??

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

for what it's worth....I think the evo motor is a bit more dependable, reliable, sturdier...however you want to say it. I don't think you need to have a cam in an evo to compare favorably to a tc...rode a 95 RK with a carb, and now have an 05 EGC with fuel injection. I liked the RK just fine, I like the EGC just fine. I don't think either bike is "under-powered" in stock configuration as so many seem to think. Keep in mind, I'm an old guy and have absolutely NO need to ride over a hundred, and either of these bikes will do all of that eaasily (and pretty quickly at that!). I think there have been a lot of issues with the various incarnations of the TC motor, but also believe there's been vast improvement in it since it first came out. Bottom line, the evo motors are getting old now, and tired...IF you are able to do your own work, that's not an issue. In the old days, we mostly worked on our own pans and shovels and built them when necessary...with much improvement over the factory offerings. The shovel motor was never really very good in my opinion....but certainly servicable, and with after market rebuilding, many of them became pretty good solid motors. Ok, my 2 cents!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure depends on what cam and what else was done to the Evo.
As for reliability, Evo's have a few known issues specific to certain years (weeping base gaskets, leaky rocker box gaskets) but the later model one's are extremely reliable, easier to work on than a TC, and can easily be coaxed to well over 100,000 miles. If I had a choice between a late 90's Evo or the first few years of a Twin Cam...I'd take the Evo.

However, add a 95" kit to that TC with a mild cam like an Andrews ev26. Fix the cam drive, and you have a good runner there. Of course, if it's a Marelli fuel injected bike, all bets are off.

BTW, I have two Evo's and one TC in the garage.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

I owned a '88 FXLR, now own a '99 FXDX. Bone stock FXLR vs bone stock FXDX? FXDX slightly faster. Loved my FXLR but when that blacked-out FXDX came out, had to have it. Sold FXLR to a bro that deserved it.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could say I had one but my first Harley was a TC 96"... My buddy's older brother has an 81' low rider all done up - he says it's around 100 hp. Would it be a "shovel head"? Shakes like an ol' tractor!! Another friends dad had a 92 low rider, I think it would be an EVO??

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I've owned and riden dozens and dozens of Evo's. Great engine. How powerful and how reliable depends on the mods to the particular bike. This FLHTP is my first TC. IMHO it's better in every way. But it's also a cammed 103".

If the choice were an Evo or 88" TC, I'd make a decision based on the overall condition of the bike/motor. Either could be a great bike depending on how it was treated.

Any Harley engine you want to talk about has it's potential issues depending on year and care.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My '94 RK needed a pipe/carb/cam to have except-able power for me. I was able to live with my '99 RG with just a pipe/AC. Both of them blew up? Evo = cam bearing 40,000. TC = Cam drive 9,000.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 PM
asheborogn
Cruiser

Thanks for the input.. Ive owned both, but in different bikes... I was thinking of getting a nice Evo powererd Electra Glide if I sell my TC Roadking..

The Marielli Fuel Injection went south on my 01 Roadking last yr, so I converted it to a Carb which was a great idea.. I was thinking that the power between a stock evo and a Tc would be close...