Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 FLHTCUI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
mustangsrmine
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 FLHTCUI Questions

So long story short, my dad had an 08 Ultra anniversary edition, he crashed it and didn't survive. I want to build the bike back up but the frame suffered some damage one tab was bent and the tubes bounced off of the motor mount that is on the front jug. From just looking at it, it seems straight but with only 2 wheels I don't want to chance it.

I ride, but not a Harley so I am wondering are there any 08 frames that are interchangeable or is this a part I will be forced to buy from the stealership. I want to keep costs down as much as possible because I still need to buy all the body parts except for one bag and rear fender. And if anyone knows of where I can get a clean titled frame or a bunch of parts it would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
fabric8or
Intermediate

Is some frames on eBay
I would also want a title

Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.
A buddy went through the same thing, and survived.
You can get a new frame from the MoCo with originl vin #, but, they are a Proud company and it's not cheap.

Around 1K if memory serves me correctly, and then you do the parts swapping.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
mustangsrmine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VTL nut
Sorry to hear of your loss.
A buddy went through the same thing, and survived.
You can get a new frame from the MoCo with originl vin #, but, they are a Proud company and it's not cheap.

Around 1K if memory serves me correctly, and then you do the parts swapping.
Thank you, It was/is a really crappy situation, I had the cops waiting for me at home after work so they could notify somebody. It was also 3 days before my college graduation. Needless to say I wasn't all that excited to finish school.

I did check out HD and they have them for around 1700. But if they use the same vin wouldn't it still come up as totoaled since this title is susposed to be "junked" (ins payed out but I kept the bike and the titile, not sure if they notify the dmv)?

I was looking on ebay but couldn't find an 08 frame and I did learn that the tank in 08 is bigger than the earlier years so my parts wouldn't fit on an older frame. And the other frames I found were twisted worse than the one I have now.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

The seat mount and fuel tank are specific to the 08 but the basic frame is the same for several years. Possible to get an older frame and cut and weld on the necessary mounts from your frame if they are undamaged. Motor vin and frame vin won't match tho. Or get a frame from the MoCo so everything matches.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
mustangsrmine
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the frame from HD. Also is the front fairing from a street glide the same as an ultra?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,061 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangsrmine
Thanks for the info, I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the frame from HD. Also is the front fairing from a street glide the same as an ultra?
You can interchange inner fairings, but the street glide one would have holes for the fairing mirrors. I have an 08 ultra anniversary and can assist you in you venture should you need any literature, etc. If you we're closer, I'd help ya do the work. Big undertaking, but not difficult.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
mustangsrmine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dawg
You can interchange inner fairings, but the street glide one would have holes for the fairing mirrors. I have an 08 ultra anniversary and can assist you in you venture should you need any literature, etc. If you we're closer, I'd help ya do the work. Big undertaking, but not difficult.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I will probably be taking you up on you offer about helping.

I also had another question about fairings, a 97 fairing will that fit on a 08? I found one on ebay and they say it does but I don't trust a lot of people on ebay.

Also what other parts are interchangeable between years and models, or is there somewhere I can look to find out?

Thanks again

Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,061 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Inner fairing or outer fairing? The outer will fit and is the same. The inner would fit also, but there are differences between the two inners. Most parts 97 and later will fit except for the tank and seat.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
mustangsrmine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dawg
Inner fairing or outer fairing? The outer will fit and is the same. The inner would fit also, but there are differences between the two inners. Most parts 97 and later will fit except for the tank and seat.
It is the outer fairing, unpainted for $120 plus $35 for shipping. Seems like a good deal, the dealer wants $320 for a primed one and not sure about shipping. The inner is $150 from the stealership, seems reasonable.

I don't need to find a seat, luckily, I did find a tank but it was for a Screaming Eagle and the guy wanted $900 but I am going to repaint it anyway so it seems pricy for what I am going to do with it. So the search will continue ...