Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated HD Boom Audio - Looking for Biketronics Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Frustrated HD Boom Audio - Looking for Biketronics Feedback

Looking for some feedback from some experienced audio geeks / wizards / grand poobas.

Long story short, I have a 2015 FLHTK with 32,000 miles. Upgraded the sound system to the HD Boom amplifier and stage one speakers about a year ago, it's been working fine until last week when the amplifier died on me. Since I made the install, HD won't warranty the failed component. Lets not get into the flashing of the headunit and such, it was done correctly.

Been hearing good feedback about Biketronics and their products and was thinking of pulling the trigger on the 2 channel amplifier (BT2180.14) and the Proline 7.1" speakers for the front fairing. I understand most put speakers in the tourpak, saddlebags or lower fairings but I'm not interested in that as I usually ride without the tourpak. I'm seriously considering removing the HD headunit all together and installing the Sony MEX-GS610BT. I believe the only benefit I'd lose from removing the HD headunit is the GPS. Considering HD hasn't updated their maps database since the unit's inception and I have a Garmin from previously with lifetime map updates, I believe I'd come out ahead.

Has anyone else already done something similar and if so, what we your experience?? Any regrets?? How happy were you with your decision?? Would I be better of just staying with the HD headunit?? Looking for all feedback, positive or negative. I have thick skin. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

The HU is not the closest alligator to the boat.

Get a good amp w good speaks and roll on down the road with damn good sound!!!

Not a fan of the BT speaks, or coax in general in the fairing based on far too many trials and errors, so if u can get some good components pushed by the BT2180 ur done w this project.

T

Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Zip77
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At the shop we have pulled several stock HU and replaced with either the sony or the new Kenwood. It takes away some of the annoyance that the stock gives you. As far as the speakers go.. Eh.. I am with Tailwind. I am not a fan. For the money I feel like you can do better. But thats just my ears. Theres a good amount of guys on here that will swear by them. Depends the guy I guess.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zip77
At the shop we have pulled several stock HU and replaced with either the sony or the new Kenwood. It takes away some of the annoyance that the stock gives you. As far as the speakers go.. Eh.. I am with Tailwind. I am not a fan. For the money I feel like you can do better. But thats just my ears. Theres a good amount of guys on here that will swear by them. Depends the guy I guess.
I'm surprised to hear both you guys say that because I'm one of the peeps that love em but as it was mentioned before different ears prefer different tonality. That
Lifetime warranty man, it just can't be beat.... Knowing I never have to spend another dollar to maintain my sound if awesome. That fact that I love the clarity is just the icing on my 103 cubic inch cake!. Thanks for everybody's input and advice on the audio in this section. You guys are great!

Last edited by Fatherwayne; 09-20-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Zip77
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea you are right Father! The warranty is def a Very good selling point for sure! Haha But I don't usually keep a speaker setup for very long unless I LOVE it.. so unfortunately the warranty doesn't do much for me. But hey! As long as you like it.. thats all that matters!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zip77
Yea you are right Father! The warranty is def a Very good selling point for sure! Haha But I don't usually keep a speaker setup for very long unless I LOVE it.. so unfortunately the warranty doesn't do much for me. But hey! As long as you like it.. thats all that matters!
I think so too. We are the only ones that have to be happy with our setup in the end (Well.... Us and maybe the real boss...insert her name here lol). There are so many types and brands out there I see why you guys change up so much and it kinda makes the warranty less of a selling point for you in that case. I'm really glad y'all do though because the knowledge base that had resulted from the experimentation has proved invaluable to the rest of us. I'm one of the guys that can't wait to put the fairing back on and never take it of off again lol. Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I appreciate everyone's input. Can someone tell me comparatively how BT stacks up against the HD setup? I already have some hearing loss and constant ringing in my ears so I'm not looking for something award winning, I just want good sounding music I can hear scooting along at 80 mph.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
I appreciate everyone's input. Can someone tell me comparatively how BT stacks up against the HD setup? I already have some hearing loss and constant ringing in my ears so I'm not looking for something award winning, I just want good sounding music I can hear scooting along at 80 mph.
BT are much better than Boom but in order for BT to be heard well at highway speeds the move a bit towards the highs or being bright.
With your hearing concerns, do ur ears like a warmer sound or brighter?
Plenty of options to get ur happy as can be so take ur time.

T.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
BT are much better than Boom but in order for BT to be heard well at highway speeds the move a bit towards the highs or being bright.
With your hearing concerns, do ur ears like a warmer sound or brighter?
Plenty of options to get ur happy as can be so take ur time.

T.
Well said, the main complaint I've heard is them sounding too 'bright'. Admittedly I'm a fan of everything Biketronics except the speakers. MUCH better than anything Boom audio though!