Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Old 08-15-2018, 03:53 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
The thing is - not one of these working perfectly bikes changes the fact that there are other people who get fluid transfers and sumping.

That a good thing exists doesn't make the bad ones "go away".

And for all that you speak about how good they are... if someone buys one thinking "Oh, it won't hit me, it's 1 in 500" and then gets a sumper... none of you are affected, none of you lose time riding and/or money... and the ill feeling and despair.
You should post a picture of your ride,Oh "wait" you have no skin in this game. Your what we call a poser.

Last edited by tbob; 08-15-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
You should post a picture of your ride,Oh "wait" you have no skin in this game. Your what we call a poser.
True - I have no current skin. My '88 Softail was wiped out by a dumb female driver in '90.

But the reason I have no skin in the game is because I'm waiting to see if the 2019 Harleys have fixed the sumping and fluid transfer.
If they haven't then my skin will be of a different colour to HD.

What part of "not dropping my - MY - $52 000 on a possible sumper" (as I mentioned elsewhere) skips you? - My money, my choice,
If i bought now and it fails... what does that matter to you anyway, your bikes work. The problem and despair would be all mine alone.

So I'm waiting to see if these two major issues get fixed or not. If you want to call that "posing", so be it...

Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member

True - I have no current skin. My '88 Softail was wiped out by a dumb female driver in '90.

But the reason I have no skin in the game is because I'm waiting to see if the 2019 Harleys have fixed the sumping and fluid transfer.
If they haven't then my skin will be of a different colour to HD.

What part of "not dropping my - MY - $52 000 on a possible sumper" (as I mentioned elsewhere) skips you? - My money, my choice,
If i bought now and it fails... what does that matter to you anyway, your bikes work. The problem and despair would be all mine alone.

So I'm waiting to see if these two major issues get fixed or not. If you want to call that "posing", so be it...
What you post is perfectly fine ,I just wanted to show the other riders how non riders get on here with no skin in the game and keep stirring the pot. Well done Sir this proves my point with your reply.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

What you post is perfectly fine ,I just wanted to show the other riders how non riders get on here with no skin in the game and keep stirring the pot. Well done Sir this proves my point with your reply.
I hear what you’re saying & that’s fine too but I ride and feel exactly the way our OZ friend feels. I follow along here to be as educated as possible about 1) what the issues are (cause you’re not going to get straight answers from most dealers & the MoCo isn’t being upfront) 2) what’s being done & 3) I’m hoping there’s a fix soon, don’t want to trade in my 16 CVO SG, that I really enjoy, till then but would really love a M8 CVO SG. Think the M8 bike is an improvement over my 16 CVO SG but not worth making that move till bikes aren’t transferring & sumping....

I honestly have no where near the patience of many of the posters here that are encountering problems, sometimes multiple visits or breakdowns, even w/ most dealerships & the MoCo somewhat standing behind the warranty repairs, I say somewhat because even if they’re tearing down engines, replacing parts or providing new engines there doesn’t appear to be a proven oem fix. Imo that’s not “what a warranty is for”. Warranties usually aren’t needed because so many people are blowing brand new motors & warranties are there so if you have a problem, you take it to the dealership for repair & have decent confidence in your ride again that it’s sorted.... In recent memory I cannot think of A) another manufacturer where customers were blowing up as many brand new engines as this, B) Made multiple parts revisions but still didn’t have a proven solution C) 2 model years later it’s still happening.

At the same time cannot help but wonder what these issues will cost those customer’s in the end, the ones that have needed engine tear downs, new motors or multiple engines, I know if I was buying used I would probably stay away from those examples, think many would after looking at service history....Even if there is a fix on the 2019’s (hope so) w/ parts that can be retrofitted highly doubt Harley is going to pay for those parts & labor on 2017 & 2018’s.

So as far as people w/ “skin in the game”, it goes both ways I think; there’s also a lot of posters w/ cup runneth over amounts of skin in the game, meaning; not sure how impartial some are that already put down, $25, $30, $40k + that own M8’s. There’s resale to be concerned about & more importantly the reputation of the bike they’re riding, no one wants to be riding a bike that is considered crap, that has major faults. So there’s a certain amount of people defending the bikes just because they own one. I’m sure many defend the bike because they love the bike & like the majority personally don’t have issues (which is fine too, great in fact) but a few even deny there are any issues, why’s that? I’ve even seen guys in forum grudge matches defending the M8, saying these issues are so blown out of proportion, then it happens to them.

All good though, different opinions is what makes the world go round, respect is whats important so respect & cheers!

Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 AM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default M8 Stranded By Charging Failure

So, I decided to ride from Fargo to Sturgis. 468 miles, over 7 hours through no-man's-land!
I made it 308 miles and My bike died. the speedometer started freaking out about 7 miles before, 2 miles before complete failure all of the electrical system (except what runs the engine) quit.

A farmer helped me take my bike apart and recharge the battery, well that got me 38 miles, where, by some miricle, I coasted into another farmyard and was able to get a better charge on the battery.
This new charge ran my motorcycle right up to the gates of the Buffalo Chip

Hog roadside Assistance paid $100 and I paid $70 and my bike and I were in Rapid City, Sunday they replaced my Battery and Voltage Regulator, warranty covered it (yes I have aftermarket Slip-ons), but they were near closing and did not take the time to see why the voltage regulator failed.
Well, I made it 64 miles north of Rapid City when it died again and I had to make arrangements to get me and my bike home.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:52 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by STRADALE

I hear what you’re saying & that’s fine too but I ride and feel exactly the way our OZ friend feels. I follow along here to be as educated as possible about 1) what the issues are (cause you’re not going to get straight answers from most dealers & the MoCo isn’t being upfront) 2) what’s being done & 3) I’m hoping there’s a fix soon, don’t want to trade in my 16 CVO SG, that I really enjoy, till then but would really love a M8 CVO SG. Think the M8 bike is an improvement over my 16 CVO SG but not worth making that move till bikes aren’t transferring & sumping....

I honestly have no where near the patience of many of the posters here that are encountering problems, sometimes multiple visits or breakdowns, even w/ most dealerships & the MoCo somewhat standing behind the warranty repairs, I say somewhat because even if they’re tearing down engines, replacing parts or providing new engines there doesn’t appear to be a proven oem fix. Imo that’s not “what a warranty is for”. Warranties usually aren’t needed because so many people are blowing brand new motors & warranties are there so if you have a problem, you take it to the dealership for repair & have decent confidence in your ride again that it’s sorted.... In recent memory I cannot think of A) another manufacturer where customers were blowing up as many brand new engines as this, B) Made multiple parts revisions but still didn’t have a proven solution C) 2 model years later it’s still happening.

At the same time cannot help but wonder what these issues will cost those customer’s in the end, the ones that have needed engine tear downs, new motors or multiple engines, I know if I was buying used I would probably stay away from those examples, think many would after looking at service history....Even if there is a fix on the 2019’s (hope so) w/ parts that can be retrofitted highly doubt Harley is going to pay for those parts & labor on 2017 & 2018’s.

So as far as people w/ “skin in the game”, it goes both ways I think; there’s also a lot of posters w/ cup runneth over amounts of skin in the game, meaning; not sure how impartial some are that already put down, $25, $30, $40k + that own M8’s. There’s resale to be concerned about & more importantly the reputation of the bike they’re riding, no one wants to be riding a bike that is considered crap, that has major faults. So there’s a certain amount of people defending the bikes just because they own one. I’m sure many defend the bike because they love the bike & like the majority personally don’t have issues (which is fine too, great in fact) but a few even deny there are any issues, why’s that? I’ve even seen guys in forum grudge matches defending the M8, saying these issues are so blown out of proportion, then it happens to them.

All good though, different opinions is what makes the world go round, respect is whats important so respect & cheers!
The thing we all need as riders is real time people with real problems. And we have post after post on problem's. The thing we don't need is bashing from people who don't even own a bike or ride.
Go hang out on the I used to have a bike 20yrs ago forum and come back when you get one.
When I read a problem, I want it from a guy that's had the problem,everything else is just slinging **** against a wall. Any Harley I ever had a some form of factory issue. You want to see pissed look at the water pump failures on the wet head bikes. Yet people are still buying and that's been four years of failure. A Harley is a toy nothing more, if you think they will ever be flawless your living in a dream world.

Last edited by tbob; 08-16-2018 at 02:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

A Harley is a toy nothing more, if you think they will ever be flawless your living in a dream world.
I agree there, it's just a toy.

But picture it this way:

You buy a £500 toy drone to fly... but the circuit board has a misaligned track and it shorts the battery to dead after 10 minutes in the air (normal flight time would be 4 hours) (yeah, made up numbers)

So you send it back - but they don't know which part of the circuit is doing the drain so they just replace the whole motherboard with another one - but that new one could also be a "drainer".

And on the drone forum people are crowding in saying "My drone is perfect" and then claiming "if you don't "drone" you don't "drone on" about the fault" (which is inherently stupid as you MUST be able to discuss the fault and the chances of getting it in your new drone).
And it still applies here - people having a good drone doesn't take away the people having the bad ones. After all, the people with good ones aren't the ones losing out with the bad ones.

In a sense - people with the good product have "no skin in the game of bad product".

Meanwhile, many/some drone dealers are saying "what battery drain?" to new customers (and old).

And this goes on for two years - and still the drone maker brings out a new drone which has the bad circuit... And there's no pattern, no "one area" has more faults than another - so the new drone you buy tomorrow could easily be a "drainer" or a good one.

Then... imagine that the drones cost AU$52 000 or £34 000...

Now can you see why "no skin in the game" people still need to discuss the issue - to help us make up our mind IF we want to have "skin in the game" or buy different skin.

Last edited by OzHD; 08-16-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,501 Likes on 4,413 Posts

But picture it this way:

You buy a £500 toy drone to fly... but the circuit board has a misaligned track and it shorts the battery to dead after 10 minutes in the air (normal flight time would be 4 hours) (yeah, made up numbers)

So you send it back - but they don't know which part of the circuit is doing the drain so they just replace the whole motherboard with another one - but that new one could also be a "drainer".

And on the drone forum people are crowding in saying "My drone is perfect" and then claiming "if you don't "drone" you don't "drone on" about the fault" (which is inherently stupid as you MUST be able to discuss the fault and the chances of getting it in your new drone).
And it still applies here - people having a good drone doesn't take away the people having the bad ones. After all, the people with good ones aren't the ones losing out with the bad ones.

In a sense - people with the good product have "no skin in the game of bad product".

Meanwhile, many/some drone dealers are saying "what battery drain?" to new customers (and old).

And this goes on for two years - and still the drone maker brings out a new drone which has the bad circuit... And there's no pattern, no "one area" has more faults than another - so the new drone you buy tomorrow could easily be a "drainer" or a good one.

Now can you see why "no skin in the game" people still need to discuss the issue - to help us make up our mind IF we want to have "skin in the game" or buy different skin.
you have certainly made your point over and over about your apprehension about spending your hard earned money and getting value for it, which I get is a 100% valid concern..i sincerely hope you're riding something and enjoying life on two wheels whatever that may be instead of wasting it away talking about them, cheers

Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

But picture it this way:

So why not buy a lightly used twinkie? One of the non wetheads? And get out and enjoy the wind, instead of sitting on the sidelines too afraid to get in the game? Hell, get a VTX, or a Stratoliner, or whatever brand you think is bulletproof. Save some money, and get some wind therapy!

If you're as old as your sig line suggests, don't waste time waiting for someone to make it impossible to fail; find a "work around".

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 AM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes it does change the fact, the vast majority of M8 owners have trouble free bikes. I would venture to say almost everything you may have heard about M8 ISSUES is completely made up nonsense and M8 owners that do not know how to change oil and put to much oil in their bikes. Go to a local Harley dealer and speak with one of the mechanics they will tell you it’s all bulshiI”*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M8 problems