Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:45 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinmax
Add my name to the list of people having problems with the oil light coming on their M8. Have had my M8 for about 5 weeks and it has been in the shop over 2 weeks now. First time it went into the shop was for blow by. Turned out to be a bad O'ring in the push rod tubes. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop the oil light started coming on. It comes on when the bike is idling after riding 20 plus miles. After calling the factory, the dealer order a replacement the oil sensor. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop, riding 20 plus miles, the oil light started coming on again when the bike was idling. Took the bike back to the shop and the dealer consulted the factory again. Let me know if anybody else has heard this from their dealer, sounds like BS to me. The dealer called me yesterday and left a message on my voicemail saying the factory now has a new redesigned sensor and they are shipping it to the dealer. Ok, maybe an oil sensor they redesigned since last week or maybe an oil sensor that doesn't come on at idle or maybe a dealer that doesn't want to take the time to find out why the bike has low oil pressure? Ok, it's possible there is a new redesign oil switch that just came out and the original switch was a faulty design, but to me it sounds like a load of ****. Has anybody else heard this?
I'd sure ask if they put a wet gauge on it hot at idle and what the pressure was.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:20 PM
M8Deeve
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinmax
Add my name to the list of people having problems with the oil light coming on their M8. Have had my M8 for about 5 weeks and it has been in the shop over 2 weeks now. First time it went into the shop was for blow by. Turned out to be a bad O'ring in the push rod tubes. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop the oil light started coming on. It comes on when the bike is idling after riding 20 plus miles. After calling the factory, the dealer order a replacement the oil sensor. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop, riding 20 plus miles, the oil light started coming on again when the bike was idling. Took the bike back to the shop and the dealer consulted the factory again. Let me know if anybody else has heard this from their dealer, sounds like BS to me. The dealer called me yesterday and left a message on my voicemail saying the factory now has a new redesigned sensor and they are shipping it to the dealer. Ok, maybe an oil sensor they redesigned since last week or maybe an oil sensor that doesn't come on at idle or maybe a dealer that doesn't want to take the time to find out why the bike has low oil pressure? Ok, it's possible there is a new redesign oil switch that just came out and the original switch was a faulty design, but to me it sounds like a load of ****. Has anybody else heard this?
I am having the same problem and the dealer is replacing the same part next week. I spoke with them regarding it and this is what they decided to order. I mentioned possible oil pump issues but they dismissed that saying there has been no recall or service bulletin.

I will let you know how mine works out.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Bpeer1
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M8Deeve
I am having the same problem and the dealer is replacing the same part next week. I spoke with them regarding it and this is what they decided to order. I mentioned possible oil pump issues but they dismissed that saying there has been no recall or service bulletin.

I will let you know how mine works out.
I'm with you guys. Could be a bad switch but I doubt it. It would be interesting to see what pressure the old switch and the new switch turn on the oil light.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Mentioned the oil sensor a couple pages back as it seemed as tho there were no other issues other thsn the switch is only at idle. Sensor is too sensitive LOL

Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Oil consumption, such as noted is not in excess. Did you switch to synthetic oil at 1000 mile service. Also long decel repeated over and over from speed will help seat the rings further. It's important. You may consider going back to Dino oil through the next service.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,107 Likes on 3,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpeer1
I'm with you guys. Could be a bad switch but I doubt it. It would be interesting to see what pressure the old switch and the new switch turn on the oil light.
Exactly what I was thinking... reminds me of my, then new 1984 ZX900 Kawi. They all would put the coolant temp gauge into the red zone, so Kawi "redesigned" a temp sender that simply moved the needle out of the red zone. The engine ran the same temp. Could it be HD is issuing senders that simply turn the light on at a lower oil pressure now? Does anyone know what the actual OP is when the light is on?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

I just want to say how helpful I find this thread. I currently own a 15 RG but I am looking forward to purchasing an M8 in the future. This is giving needed insight into things to look out for. I am surprised that there are no reports of cracked rockers. With the added duty they are pulling I would have thought that would be the weak link in the new design.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,107 Likes on 3,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I just want to say how helpful I find this thread. I currently own a 15 RG but I am looking forward to purchasing an M8 in the future. This is giving needed insight into things to look out for. I am surprised that there are no reports of cracked rockers. With the added duty they are pulling I would have thought that would be the weak link in the new design.
I posed that very question in here but someone with good HD experience ( I forget who..I wanna say George Bryce but cant be sure) said it looks like it should be fine. I figured the mechanical disadvantage the pushrod was at to open two valves would be an issue. But apparently all is good.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:03 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

It's a great motor. Sounds scary because this thread iinvolves people's M8's that have had issues
etting that 99.99% of all M8's are runnin great

Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
It's a great motor. Sounds scary because this thread iinvolves people's M8's that have had issues
etting that 99.99% of all M8's are runnin great
Mine is running perfect to this point. Only 850 miles but I'm loving every minute of it. I wish it was louder but from what I've read the SE Street Cannons will get louder as time goes on.

Quick Reply: M8 problems