Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 PM
Fairkid
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decided while the bike is torn down for oil pump replacement and clean out, I'm going stage-2 ... at least I'll save the labor (about 1k) on the install.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 AM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am curious to know what the "VIN is on the bikes that have had the Engine Oil Pump problems".

Last edited by riderboy1961; 04-17-2017 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Start a new thread on my question.
The following users liked this post:
G'day (04-21-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM
King_David
Novice

Doshounds: I had the same wet oil spot on the top rear fin also, at about 100 miles. Could have been there from the beginning - dunno. My oil-cooled 107 M8 is stock. Oil level cold is at the half-way mark. The spot has not returned in 60 more miles of riding. I'll report back here if it returns and, of course, talk to my friendly service dept.

Dave

Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by King_David
Doshounds: I had the same wet oil spot on the top rear fin also, at about 100 miles. Could have been there from the beginning - dunno. My oil-cooled 107 M8 is stock. Oil level cold is at the half-way mark. The spot has not returned in 60 more miles of riding. I'll report back here if it returns and, of course, talk to my friendly service dept.

Dave
Let me know Dave. Mine got progressively worse over the weekend. I was noticing oil splatter on collector of exhaust and it looked like oil or trans fluid streaming down case under trans dipstick. It almost looked like the fluid was seeping through the case of the transmission. It looks like it's going back to dealer this week. Bike left a puddle of fluid also in garage. I added nearly a quart in engine and 1/2 quart in trans. Strange thing is I can't tell where it's coming from. Air cleaner is totally dry and no drips from breather bolts. On top of this my 15 Road Glide is in shop with oil light on at idle. Jeez. I need a break from this brain damage. Lol.

Last edited by Doshounds; 04-17-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

UPDATE:
Dealer called and said they have replaced the oil pump and it's all good now.
They will drop the bike off tomorrow.

We shall see...

Thank you
FrankEGD

Originally Posted by frankegd
Hello everyone,
I just rolled over 2100 mls on my '17 FLHXSE and for the last 300 mls on a trip the oil light came on. As soon as it did I checked the oil level, it was good. I noticed a small leak at the rear cylinders rocker cover, just enough to drip down onto the engine.
The oil light only comes on when idling.

I dropped it off at the shop and they looked at it, saying it might just be the leak, but need further testing.
HD told them to replace the sensor first, and it is still doing it.

Next HD told them to use bore scope to check for scarring in both cylinders. They told me if the see any, they would have to replace the engine.

The tech was aware of the oil pump spacer (or what is called with he shavings and so on) and also mentioned that they 'may' have used the wrong oil pumps on some models. Water assist vs. oil assist, but I have never heard or read about that.

I just heard that they are going to take the engine apart. I assume they did not see any scarring...

They will let me know what they find.
I will update this if I hear anything...

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
King_David
Novice

Originally Posted by Doshounds
Let me know Dave. Mine got progressively worse over the weekend. I was noticing oil splatter on collector of exhaust and it looked like oil or trans fluid streaming down case under trans dipstick. It almost looked like the fluid was seeping through the case of the transmission. It looks like it's going back to dealer this week. Bike left a puddle of fluid also in garage. I added nearly a quart in engine and 1/2 quart in trans. Strange thing is I can't tell where it's coming from. Air cleaner is totally dry and no drips from breather bolts. On top of this my 15 Road Glide is in shop with oil light on at idle. Jeez. I need a break from this brain damage. Lol.
I found more oil on the top fin of the rear cylinder after today's ride, Doshounds. Still a small amount. Under bright light, I saw more oil under the top rear rocker cover. The outer surface of the cover is decorative. There is an air gap between the upper and lower covers. Looking into the gap I can see where oil (a small amount) is pooling near the gasket. For orientation, one of the ignition wires is just to the rear of the location where the oil is pooling. I tried taking a picture, but it isn't easy to see. If the gasket let loose, I could see where you could lose a lot of oil. But your rear header probably would have been covered in oil. There would probably be a strong smell of very hot oil!

I can reach only one of the top rocker cover bolts w/o removing the tank. I checked the torque of that bolt. It took perhaps 1/8 turn to reach the lower torque spec of 120 in-lbs. So my problem may be fixed by re-torquing the bolts. Let's hope for a quick fix for you. Gotta love that warranty!

Dave

Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Well I picked the bike up today from the dealer. Under instruction from the tech support folks from Harley they performed a leak down check (good) and replaced both breather assemblies, they were full of oil. Harley support wasn't sure if this would correct the problem but asked me to leave the oil level where it's at, about 2 dots below full hot and come back in after 500 miles for another look. That's what I'll do. I'll report back how it goes.
So 400 miles later and still no better. Didn't even have to pull the filter as running my fingers along the bottom of the backing plate picked up a lot of fresh oil. Back to the dealer for another call that tech support and plan B.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
So 400 miles later and still no better. Didn't even have to pull the filter as running my fingers along the bottom of the backing plate picked up a lot of fresh oil. Back to the dealer for another call that tech support and plan B.
Sound like the rings didn't seat.. Too easy break-in..

Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Sound like the rings didn't seat.. Too easy break-in..
Nope it didn't have a too easy break-in. They already did a leak down check and that came up good. Bike has about 8k miles and everything was bone dry until about 1k miles ago.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Update! I spent some time looking things over on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I removed the Air Cleaner and there was evidence of oil in the intake. There was also some oil staining the filter. Odd thing is there was ZERO splatter where you would expect it to be?? So I inspected everything and re installed air cleaner. I also noticed there may have been some oil seeping from the back of the breather bolt in the back of the air cleaner so I added another washer according to S&S instructions. At this point I started to wonder if the crank case was overfilled. So I stole the OL's turkey baster and pulled out some oil and dropped it a few dots under where it was. Roughly 1/2 way cold. I washed bike to make sure everything was clean and had a fresh start to see if I made any progress. The only other thing that was bothering me was the puddle of oil under the bike and not knowing where it came from. Also the last time I rode there seemed to be oil streaming from the trans dipstick. I have read somewhere the M8 vents to the intake and the crank case? Well I rode nearly 100 miles stopping every 10-15 miles checking things out and there was ZERO oil! No splatter, no runs, drips, or errors. The only thing I can figure is bike was slightly over- filled, new air cleaner may have had a slight leak in breather bolt?, and turned over 400 miles and rings set in the last 100 miles, reducing blow by? So I will keep everyone updated as I ride. Super happy to maybe have this corrected and avoided a trip to the dealer. Especially with the Road Glide getting an entire new cam chest after puking a needle bearing from an SE lifter thus smoking the oil pump, cam chest, lifters, and cams. 3 months out of warranty. Gotta love the Harley Tax!

The following users liked this post:
G'day (04-23-2017)

Quick Reply: M8 problems