Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Both pumps are pretty much the same with one change in them. The pump housing is machined for a different supply element. The Twin Cool uses a smaller supply element than the oil cooled does. The rest of the pump is the same. From a design standpoint one would not fail more than the other.

So if a oil cooled pump was placed into a Twin cooled you would have way to much supply pump and if the Twin cooled was put into the Oil cooled way to little. The suction side is the exact same on both as is the relief valve.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:54 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

So is it possible some units are coming with the wrong oump instal?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Mrhavasu
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new roadglide ultra, but am going to wait. This oil pump problem is way to common. Hopefully they will have it figured out soon. Any of these having any coolant loss issues also? Thanks

Old 05-07-2017, 07:38 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
I was ready to pull the trigger on a new roadglide ultra, but am going to wait. This oil pump problem is way to common. Hopefully they will have it figured out soon. Any of these having any coolant loss issues also? Thanks
I'm with you on this. There is something funky going on as oil pumps are not that complicated. Hopefully Harley has at least some clue as to what is causing this and has a permanent fix. This should never happen!!!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
So 400 miles later and still no better. Didn't even have to pull the filter as running my fingers along the bottom of the backing plate picked up a lot of fresh oil. Back to the dealer for another call that tech support and plan B.
Well after 2 weeks at the dealer this time Harley tech support is suppose to call my dealer back in the next few days to schedule a factory rep visit. He'll work along side the dealer mechanic to dig deeper. Geez I wonder if they'll pull the oil pump.

Last edited by LA VIC; 05-26-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:35 AM
2016CTRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default left air vent

6200 miles new tires and oil change for upcoming trip from Connecticut to Milwaukee. Left side air vent does not work and has to be replaced. Hope to get it done before trip this Friday!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
Your loss. I'll be enjoying all the miles my M8 is racking up.

Just out of curiosity, how many posts have you seen and personal accounts have you heard about this "way too common" oil pump issue? If it's less than 10, you're just adding more cow chips to the hyperbole fire.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 AM
bikerdan128
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

Just out of curiosity, how many posts have you seen and personal accounts have you heard about this "way too common" oil pump issue? If it's less than 10, you're just adding more cow chips to the hyperbole fire.
Agreed. If all your reading is this 1 forum than you would think this new disign is a POS. So far, for me anyways, this is the best bike I've ever owned or ridden. I cant get enough of my Ultra Limited. I'm pretty sure it's a fairly small number of bikes with issues compared to bikes with no issues. I wonder if there is a way to check.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

precisely!
after all, if you base your opinion off of this thread relating to m8 issues. Then that's all you'll learn about the bike. Altho, it would be nice to know what the actual oercentage of m8 are having issues and which they relate to

Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shop did not bleed the coolant correctly, air bubbles left which let the coolant overheat. They could not reproduce the low oil light.
I guess I will be riding it again.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Originally Posted by frankegd
So, after they've replaced the oil pump, new gasket for rear rocker cover and dropped it of, I haven't had time for a test ride. But yesterday I did go for a quick ride.

About 15 mls into it, the water temp light and check engine light came on, As soon as I pulled into a gas station the oil light came on too. Again!

I called the shop and they came and picked up the bike. They guy that was loading the bike ran the strap around the water line on the right hand side. When he tightened it, it started leaking... Great.
Just waiting on them to call me today.

Thannk you
FrankEGD

Quick Reply: M8 problems