Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design changes in the 2019 cases?

Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts
Default Design changes in the 2019 cases?

Folks, would love to get my hands on the 2019 MY Technical Forum document, but absent that, does anyone have information about what changes may/may not have been made to the 2019 engine case design?

The following users liked this post:
triumph900 (10-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:28 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I would love to see the MY2019 doc too.

Just looking through the parts finders online the case part number has not changed so it doesn't look like they made any revisions to it, BUT.. that isn't definitive or mean something else didn't change. I guess.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 AM
msnyder
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I ask a similar question on 8-25-2018. Got a few replies reguarding a new oil pump. (with a seal on the backside). I asked the lead parts guy at my local dealer if anything was changed to address the sumping and transfer issues and he laughed and said " a new oil pump". To which I replied how many does that make? He is pretty sharp and straight up with me. I asked if the cases were different/changed and he said the same part numbers as 2018. One possibility is that HD did the same with the cases as some of the oil pumps. The pumps were changed but kept the same part number. Getting the latest greatest pump of the month meant getting a pump produced after such and such date.. Such was the case when I did a cam and lifter change on my bike this past winter. 2017 RGU . No issues (to date) It would appear that only time will tell .
Some time back I read a post or two by Stonecold where Steve Cole had shown him some M8 cases and talked about the pickup design for getting oil out of the flywheel
area was "not the best" shall we say. I and others think the moco,s "pump of the month" way of addressing the sumping problems is is just a way of reducing the effects of a greater problem. The fellow called Heatwave (I think) had multiple failures and the Harley rep told him that the last replacement motor is a 2019 motor......I think he implied that he would not have any issues with that motor.. I hope that means the root causes were addressed ...
Another thing that bothers me is every time I read about a motor being tested/diagnosed for sumping they are pulling the CPI sensor out. Well there,s a plug in the bottom that will drain the sump and give a much better measurement of what is in there. I think using the sensor hole will only tell part of the story. OR at least make it look less severe. I was the lucky owner of a 2008 E Glide that had 17 ounces of oil in the sump when checked. (.019 crank pinion runout/ cam support plate wallowed out)
Well that was a long winded rant! I love my harleys but I don,t really trust this one. And I would NOT Buy another new one until I feel like the problems have been corrected. Not bandaged up with new pumps and plastic discs (on the clutch rod).. Rant over. Max

Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I would love to see the MY2019 doc too.

Just looking through the parts finders online the case part number has not changed so it doesn't look like they made any revisions to it, BUT.. that isn't definitive or mean something else didn't change. I guess.
Indeed El Pee. The part number never changed in 2012 when Bosch started making the ABS units (which are magically not included in the big ABS recall). It still carries the same part number as the Beijing West Industries unit from 2008-2011.

Dynamick (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:04 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by msnyder
I ask a similar question on 8-25-2018. Got a few replies reguarding a new oil pump. (with a seal on the backside). I asked the lead parts guy at my local dealer if anything was changed to address the sumping and transfer issues and he laughed and said " a new oil pump". To which I replied how many does that make? He is pretty sharp and straight up with me. I asked if the cases were different/changed and he said the same part numbers as 2018. One possibility is that HD did the same with the cases as some of the oil pumps. The pumps were changed but kept the same part number. Getting the latest greatest pump of the month meant getting a pump produced after such and such date.. Such was the case when I did a cam and lifter change on my bike this past winter. 2017 RGU . No issues (to date) It would appear that only time will tell .
Some time back I read a post or two by Stonecold where Steve Cole had shown him some M8 cases and talked about the pickup design for getting oil out of the flywheel
area was "not the best" shall we say. I and others think the moco,s "pump of the month" way of addressing the sumping problems is is just a way of reducing the effects of a greater problem. The fellow called Heatwave (I think) had multiple failures and the Harley rep told him that the last replacement motor is a 2019 motor......I think he implied that he would not have any issues with that motor.. I hope that means the root causes were addressed ...
Another thing that bothers me is every time I read about a motor being tested/diagnosed for sumping they are pulling the CPI sensor out. Well there,s a plug in the bottom that will drain the sump and give a much better measurement of what is in there. I think using the sensor hole will only tell part of the story. OR at least make it look less severe. I was the lucky owner of a 2008 E Glide that had 17 ounces of oil in the sump when checked. (.019 crank pinion runout/ cam support plate wallowed out)
Well that was a long winded rant! I love my harleys but I don,t really trust this one. And I would NOT Buy another new one until I feel like the problems have been corrected. Not bandaged up with new pumps and plastic discs (on the clutch rod).. Rant over. Max
With all the repeated fiddling with the oil pump. Which didn't solve the problem. Who knows, maybe that new plate and seal will do the trick. If if does, I am going to argue like hell for them to put that plate in mine. If they won't, I will buy it and install it myself. It cannot be that expensive.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,625 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
With all the repeated fiddling with the oil pump. Which didn't solve the problem. Who knows, maybe that new plate and seal will do the trick. If if does, I am going to argue like hell for them to put that plate in mine. If they won't, I will buy it and install it myself. It cannot be that expensive.
I can pretty much guarantee you they wouldn't install that plate (on their dime) unless your bike had a confirmed sumping problem.

They'd say, "we're not going to fix something that isn't broken" or something similar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamick:
Campy Roadie (08-29-2018), GPHDXLC (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:54 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

My son wants a new Harley and I'm interested, but I want to see proof the Mo Co did something to the case to fix sumping. Another new oil pump? that's getting old. When it comes to a new Harley my son will listen to what I say, but he wants a Fat Bob, He loves the look of the new FXDR but he understands the price is to high on that model. So he is waiting on his dad to say yes or no on a 19.
I need to see proof. I love Harleys, but don't trust the Mo Co. We would rather stay with the Harleys we have now then switch brands. I hope something comes to light soon, one way or the other.

Campy Roadie (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

The MoCo will never come out with the info people are looking for. The only way you are ever going to know is, as time goes on and the issues go away... (IF they ever do!) Even if they did change the case like people are saying... Is there proof that the case change resolved the issue? They have changed the pump and that hasn't resolved it. I think you either have to wait it out or take your chance... My $.02

Co-Worker here bought a new Indian Chief Train Dark Horse and ordered a 116 kit from Polaris for it. Dealer told him, that Polaris recalled every kit they had from all dealers and put a stop ship on any existing order. No getting the 116 kit until Polaris resolved some issues they were having with them. Once Polaris did, they then send out bran new kits to the dealers for install. That's how the sumping and trans fluid transfer should be dealt with in my opinion. Not... Just keep selling them and warranty the failures. Man, I'd be steamed if my bike sumped or the trans fluid migration issue surfaced just after my 2 year warranty. People who bought the '17s... This time period has to be coming up for them...

any whoo... my rant is over... :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by jamala00:
Campy Roadie (08-29-2018), jd05flhtci (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:27 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,373 Likes on 4,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I can pretty much guarantee you they wouldn't install that plate (on their dime) unless your bike had a confirmed sumping problem.

They'd say, "we're not going to fix something that isn't broken" or something similar.
According to some HTT forum posts, there is a new oil pump backing plate, with the seal.... It is supposed to be a fix for sumping. But just like their other oil pump changes (what is it, 6 changes now), only time will tell.

There was one post, that basically said a MoCo Rep had to approve it being used on a sumping M8, before a dealer could order it..

Maybe it needed MoCo approval because it's a new part, held back for dealer warranty use only for now, but it appears to be listed as used on 2019 engines...

This is a post about the part #:

"There's a differant cover for the oil pump assembly that has an added seal, the the previous years didn't have.

2019 air cooled
11293 o-ring
62400206 cover oil pump assy
62400205 oil seal

2017 air cooled
11293 o-ring
62400125 cover oil pump assy"

And here's a pic of the new part:

Last edited by hattitude; 08-29-2018 at 02:32 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (08-29-2018), G'day (12-17-2018), rdc401 (08-29-2018), Steel Wheels (08-31-2018), twohawks (09-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
According to some HTT forum posts, there is a new oil pump backing plate, with the seal.... It is supposed to be a fix for sumping. But just like their other oil pump changes (what is it, 6 changes now), only time will tell.

There was one post, that basically said a MoCo Rep had to approve it being used on a sumping M8, before a dealer could order it..

Maybe it needed MoCo approval because it's a new part, held back for dealer warranty use only for now, but it appears to be listed as used on 2019 engines...

This is a post about the part #:

"There's a differant cover for the oil pump assembly that has an added seal, the the previous years didn't have.

2019 air cooled
11293 o-ring
62400206 cover oil pump assy
62400205 oil seal

2017 air cooled
11293 o-ring
62400125 cover oil pump assy"

And here's a pic of the new part:

do you do you know if these part will ft on 2017 M8?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Design changes in the 2019 cases?