Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 03:25 PM
rubberguy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

sorry, just trying to help

Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 PM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got this from the tech tips forum:

Damping rod bolt...where is that? And besides damping the rod, what does that do?
If I need to pull the axle is that the bolt, the pinch bolt that more or less holds the axle in place?
---End Quote---
It's middle of the bottom of the lower fork leg. Bolt holds the damping rod in place. You will need to get the weight off of the front end, remove the pinch bolt and axle. IIRC it is 5 or 6mm allen. Do only one side at a time if you are not removing the front wheel / fender.

Gonna look into this. Perhaps there is an easier way to drain the fork oil. Then just refill from the top.
I was told by a Harley trained and certified service tech that "the only thing those damned forums do is make people afraid to ride their motorcycles".
Gotta love those that drink the kool aid.
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on DIY tips and how to overcome challenges.

The following users liked this post:
PhDr. (12-19-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

"Many told the man that it could not be done, so He just sat there and grinned, for He had been doing it that way for years".
Good luck with the fork oil change, feel free to go with it.
"Nothing is totally fool proof, because fools can be incredibly clever".
I have pulled off what others said could not be done, but have not taken on the fork oil change. (Yet?)

Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gonna tackle it myself. I bled my clutch and front brakes and the rear. All was going well. The rear brake has some sponginess to it. The you tubers say you can't get the air out of the lines because of something Harley did and you MUST take it to a tech where they put a very expensive tool on the brakes to get the air out. Front brakes and clutch work fine. Only the rear has some give to it. Have y'all experienced this? How did y'all fix the sponginess?

The following users liked this post:
Puckettg (06-07-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Peanuthead
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The other day my cup holder broke while I was on my way to work. Since I don't know where the stock bolts were, I made a new mount for my GoPro. Just a 1/2" wide, 7" long piece of aircraft aluminum.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuthead
The other day my cup holder broke while I was on my way to work. Since I don't know where the stock bolts were, I made a new mount for my GoPro. Just a 1/2" wide, 7" long piece of aircraft aluminum.
Nice! I like it.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Peanuthead
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
Nice! I like it.
Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it works after tomorrow. Going for a ride with my dad and his American Legion to Bill's Old Bike Barn in PA.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it works after tomorrow. Going for a ride with my dad and his American Legion to Bill's Old Bike Barn in PA.
Great idea!!! Curious about vibration.....

Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Looks good.
I might consider some flat black rattle can paint on it and ride!

Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffjackman
Gonna tackle it myself. I bled my clutch and front brakes and the rear. All was going well. The rear brake has some sponginess to it. The you tubers say you can't get the air out of the lines because of something Harley did and you MUST take it to a tech where they put a very expensive tool on the brakes to get the air out. Front brakes and clutch work fine. Only the rear has some give to it. Have y'all experienced this? How did y'all fix the sponginess?
Yes, I experienced it too.
I use my Mity Vac from Harbor Freight. Suck out the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir out the top FIRST (To insure new fluid), then connect to the bleeder at the brakes, loosen the bleeder slowly as you keep good vacuum on it, and slowly keep topping off the reservoir with fluid as you pull it out the other end. Just take your time, don't let any air in the system, and you'll be fine. Now if replacing a line or allowing air in the line - that is a different story. That requires the Harley Digital Technician 2, or the Snap On equivalent, to straighten out and clear that problem.
For the rear, I like my bike raised and level on a jack, dolly, or table, that way the reservoir is level and you can easily keep an eye on both ends of the system - Mity Vac fluid out, and pour new fluid in. With the bike raised, you can sit comfortably on a creeper, watch for clean new fluid to come thru the clear Mity Vac hose, listen to the Allman Brothers, and enjoy a cold brew when your'e finished.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheGrandPoohBah:
tjconnection (09-12-2019), vin088xk1 (05-18-2019)

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$