Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Having issues with your audio equipment? The first post gives great tips on self-diagnostics in order to help pinpoint your issue. Forum members list their issue and solutions that worked for them.

Read the full discussion below to find out if your issue is listed and what helped forum members fix the problem.
Print Wikipost

Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
eberg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prostar
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

The file needs to be copied on a CD to use in your radio. Dont use a DVD
Ran this update and per the website the new versions should be ST10v8.25.0 and TMS320v8.19.0. Mine before the updates were v8.1.0 and v8.10.0, now they are v8.9.0 and v8.19.0. So technically they both changed but the first one isn't the .25. Is this because of the year and model of the bike/radio?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
eberg
Cruiser

Only one 7 mile trip since the update and no speaker cutout (knock on wood). When doing the diagnostic, had no codes but when doing the button test noticed that when moving the speaker rocker switch back and forth between AB and B it didn't change one time, so my issue might be the switch.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent mine in for repair 10/12/12, Ironcross radio . radio would cut out would have to shut it off and on again or change speaker switch and it would work for a bit. codes read FR speaker open RR speaker open. I found all 4 mounts for fairing broken. checked Harley and they want $55 p/side mounting bracket and $10 for speaker supports each.Looked to be the same quality as the broken ones. Bought complete repair kit instead. >$50 Instal took less than an hour. Cant wait to get radio back...
Oh yea 2007 Ultra 60000 miles 18000 are mine since April..
It has been a great summer in Minnesota.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
eberg
Cruiser

When you ran the diagnostic did those codes show up right away or did you have to hit a soft key? When mine came up it just showed the speaker switch position, AB. Then I pushed each audio switch and it said OK each time. Also regretfully the software update did nada, started cutting out again today.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 AM
TVan
Cruiser

Yes codes came up right away, both right speakers quit working totally left ones would cut out.I blame it on loose fairing. By the time I got radio out and checked all the connection s didn't want to put it back still broke. Made a cover for the hole and sent radio to iron cross repair.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM
eberg
Cruiser

Cool beans

Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Moorpark Rider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thanks for the posts and updates!!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM
TVan
Cruiser

Talked to Maria at iron cross audio. They found excessive vibration damage. Updated and repaired and sent it on its way home. Should have it back by Wednesday... yeah!!!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM
eberg
Cruiser

Taking to dealer Monday, still under warranty. If 50 bucks gets me a radio that works, even if refab'd, still better than what I got.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh **** where do I begin! 2008 Street Glide NEVER had a problem till June 4th 2012 RADIO **** the bed.. VB SouthSide Harley replaced it. Went Cross Country San Jose Harley replaced 2nd Radio August 1st.
Came to Florida and October 23, 3rd RADIO ***** THE BED and then again yesterday, this will be the 4th radio ...
First thing I did was call HARLEY CORPORATE, I said enough of the REFURBISHED RADIOS in my bike.. so i got a case number, she sais bring it back to CRhd once they confirm it's the radio she will see what she can do. I asked why the refurbished, It's bullshit and screwing with my time. Fortunately the last two times I had the radio replace i wasn't charged the 50$ fee but stll.. She said a newer radio wouldn't have all the updates in it.

I'm not sure if she gets it or I don't but, with every radio they put in our bike they have to do a software update, CALIBRATE THEM...so if that 2010, 11 or 2012 radio that had been sitting on the shelf was NEVER USED until it was sent to me, it would have to be updated regardless. I'm not sure what the deal with that is, but I don't want a REFURBISHED, regardless!! So I got the Case # and have to bring it in on Monday Morning.. I called ESP (harley extended service plan) the guy Dale was a wealth of information and had a kick *** personality. I'm going to push for this NEW RADIO and NOT REFURBISHED. Once I get it put in, I"M TAKING IT OUT AND GETTING A BIKETRONICS UNIT! They have plug n play units that are compatible so i'm going that way. This HK issue on my bike is ridiculous, and I'm tired of the down time.!
I want to shut the radio off when I wanted to, not when It wants to shut off on me!!!!!

Thank goodness for the ESP.. shop around on that too for the best price. I paid 1000. for a 7 year extended plan.. My dealership wanted to charge me 2200..
2008 Street Glide 65,400 miles. 12,000 of it done in a month and a half! RIDE HARD OR GO HOME! ~ lol

BTW, WHAT A WEALTH OF INFORMATION.. Thank you for posting.. Tomorrow I'm going to see what my CODE BLOWS..

Last edited by Capecodgirl; 11-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios