Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get ignition switch right

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
jackod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cannot get ignition switch right

I Have looked at every thread I could find on this problem and watched the video at least 20 times. I did take it out once before using the video with no problems but now I am really messed up.

I tried this suggestion over and over but I cannot get it to work.

IF after the video you still cannot get it, try this. USE the switch lock as you DO NOT NEED an alignment tool. Slide lock down into the tube until you are in position with the upper cylinders in the lock housing then SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY turn the **** while pushing downward until you find the position of the lower cylinder. Then turn back to LOCK and push downward until it bottoms out on the tree. Now pull the switch UP ever so slightly, perhaps maybe 1/8" of an inch give or take and you'll hear the button you pushed in click into place. Turn your switch lock through the various positions."

I get the switch to go through all of the positions but nothing happens and the forks won't lock. I have noticed that I cannot get the barrel key to turn to lock when I am bottomed out. I am going to go back out and hope that after posting this it will work now. LOL

Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

did you make an alignment tool with squarshed copper tubing?

a screwdriver is not a good substitute

yeah my neighbor "did not need an alignment tool" either.

he pooched it up so badly he ended up towing to the dealer.

mike

Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I used a screwdriver to get the bottom back into position...I agree that it's not the ideal solution, but it worked for me...once. Smart money is on getting the proper tool from George's Garage before you take the ignition off, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do the next time I do that job!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it can be done , you just need patience , it's one of those things you can't force or get mad at but when you are standing just right and holding your head right with all the moons and planets lined up it will fall right in , then you will say , that was easy

Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

it's been almost 3 hours since the OP posted he was going out to try it again… wonder if he is still working at it?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
jackod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Success. I made the tool but no way, I must have had it way out of whack. I made my 16 year old come out and see what he could see inside the tube. I tried Badbagger's instructions several more times with my kid telling me how things were looking and I finally got it to work. I finished up my stereo installation and I am ready to move onto some new projects. We'll see how all that goes LOL.