2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

@g.pederson thanks! I have this on my wish list now. When checking it out I realized your link was to the Harley Canada site. It is a different part number in the states. Thanks for the info. I think it's exactly what I'll need. Ride safe.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Yzzyx
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Yzzyx
If the $2K difference between the 107 and 114 was only the engine, it would be hard to justify a bit extra torque. But since the 114 package includes ABS brakes I think it is a great value.
I'm a dumbass. The Heritage includes ABS on the 107 and the 114. So the price difference is $1300? That is a good deal IMO!

Originally Posted by Yzzyx
I don't like worm clamps and exhaust shields though, so that is why I don't like the Twin Slash looks.
A few days ago I melted my heated pants to the lower Rinehart muffler. I dunno how my leg got there but since there is no heat shield, it gets pretty hot! The plastic goo is permanently bonded to the chrome.

So, I picked up a set of V&H Twin Slash mufflers from my local dealer.

I rode the Rineharts and V&H mufflers within 1 hour of each other. Here are my thoughts on both:

Rinehart
+ Very loud. (Although it gets a bit tiresome on long rides, and I wear earplugs!)
+ Nice-looking end caps. (They do get a rust color inside them though.)
+ Very large diameter so they look "beefy".
+ Great "fat" tone.
+ Uses gaskets so very easy to remove and reinstall.
- Very expensive. ($500)
- No instructions. (Although, if you need instructions you probably shouldn't be installing them!)
- No gaskets. ($12 each.)
- No clamps. ($7 each.)
- No heat shield. (The junction between the mufflers and the header shield looks a bit unfinished.)

V&H Twin Slash
+ Inexpensive ($350)
+ Not very loud. (IMO, almost perfect.)
+ Heat shields. (The junction between the mufflers and the header shield looks great.)
+ Includes clamps.
+ Decent instructions.
- No gaskets used, so possibly not-so-easy to remove and reinstall.
- Very weak-looking clamps. (They work though. Dunno if they can be reused.)
- Not very loud.

My riding impressions are that the Rineharts sound totally awesome but over 6-8 or more hours the sound begins to wear on me. The V&H have a less-deep tone but sound like "classic" V&H pipes. The Rineharts have a "fat" or "smoothed" sound whereas the V&H is more distinct and crisp. The V&H sound better under hard acceleration but the Rineharts sound better at idle. At cruise, the V&H are barely audible. The Rineharts are always loud. The Rinehart lower muffler rubs the muffler bracket a bit which isn't a big deal but it does leave marks on the bracket and muffler. You can't see them, though. My butt dyno is not calibrated very well but the V&H feel like they hold 55MPH in sixth gear (2090RPM) better, so perhaps they have a bit more low-end torque. I think if you put the quiet inserts into the V&H pipes you would have a very quiet pipe. I don't know how loud the V&H "competition" inserts are but at $50 each I don't plan to find out.

Summary: The V&H are a great value for a medium-loud pipe. The Rineharts sound great if you like loud pipes but they are expensive.

Last edited by Yzzyx; 10-29-2018 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rainsong (10-22-2021)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:59 AM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
Sounds great! The part number you listed comes up empty in a search. Could you double check? Thanks!
I used this harness to connect my GPS and my heated grips on my 18 heritage prior to delivery. The part number listed (69201750) is correct. Some H-D part numbers are not available on line, which MIGHT be why it came up empty. You probably need to have the dealership order it for you.

sped (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
I just re=read my comment to you. I think it sounded flippant/. It wasn't meant in that tone I promise. If I offended you I apologize. Take care and ride safe.
No problem. I didn't think you were being flippant. I had tried a couple of other suggestions, then realized that I was just guessing at what your setup was and so I just deleted them. I will make one more suggestion: If your GPS has a mini, micro or USB-C plug on the end that plugs into your unit, you can get a cable that will plug directly into the USB port on the bike. Lots of GPS come with a cigarette lighter plug on one end and mini USB on the other. You can use either the lighter plug or a USB plug to charge them. USB charging is 5 volts. Lighter plug type chargers typically convert 12 volts to 5 volts.

sped (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tx freebird
I used this harness to connect my GPS and my heated grips on my 18 heritage prior to delivery. The part number listed (69201750) is correct. Some H-D part numbers are not available on line, which MIGHT be why it came up empty. You probably need to have the dealership order it for you.
Boardtracker has it for $12.00.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's a look at the Machete wheels on my Anniversary Heritage. Also installed the V&H Eliminator's. This was supposed to be my winter project but the cold weather has moved in early this year. I guess I will be looking for something else to mod when February hits.

The following 2 users liked this post by kenny55:
bduds65 (11-11-2021), FM500 (11-06-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
Here's a look at the Machete wheels on my Anniversary Heritage. Also installed the V&H Eliminator's. This was supposed to be my winter project but the cold weather has moved in early this year. I guess I will be looking for something else to mod when February hits.

looks good, I wish they had those wheels in black as well

Old 10-29-2018, 06:52 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cakesheritage18
what exactly do I need to put a 21” wheel on my 18 heritage classic 114 with abs
just the wheel and tire. when you order the wheel make sure it fits an abs model. you can use the stock rotor. if the fender rubs or is too close you can drill out the fender mount bolt holes. drilling is on youtube. i put a 21 on an 09 Deluxe and it fit fine. these models are basically the same. find HogPro wheels on here and he could give you specifics and pricing

Old 10-29-2018, 08:59 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Laidlaw's master tech did up his own personal '18 Heritage. Fun watch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLXX6XVAeOs

Here's a pic of mine. Still fairly stock aside from the Stage 2.

whats on the decal did you use on the saddlebag lid?

Last edited by escalade6103; 10-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by escalade6103
whats on the decal did you use on the saddlebag lid?

I've changed it a few times since then, but it was just a bronze colored HD bar and shield logo. Think it was $5 at the dealer.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread