Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cheap Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Cheap mods

Great post Frank
I especially like the cloth pin idea for holding wires still while soldering

Thanks

Bone

Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 PM
jb55
Cruiser

Okay, here's one that I did after looking at the back of my 07 custom. InPa. we have the small style license plates. I guess the tail light assemblies are made tohold both the small and large plates. So I removed my plate and scraped off the gay reflector that goes between the tail light and plate.I moved the license plate upcloser to the tail light. I madean outline of the plate, and took an airsaw and cut the extra off. It looks like it came from the factory, and reallty cleans up the back of the bike.

And best of all total cost.... 0 dollars !!

Iwill try to post a pisture later if I can.

JB.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
scaryonly
Intermediate

good point. what about on sheet metal? would you recommend rustoleum for fenders?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Asphalt Cowboy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scaryonly - I'm sure it would work. I have painted whole bikes with rattle cans before. If you are going with a flat color, you're golden. However, gloss NEVER comes out of a rattle can like it does a spray gun, and you will never get a mirror gloss finish. The paint just isn't mixed the same. Hope that helps.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
blackness
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jb55

I removed my plate and scraped off the gay reflector that goes between the tail light and plate.I moved the license plate upcloser to the tail light. I madean outline of the plate, and took an airsaw and cut the extra off. It looks like it came from the factory, and reallty cleans up the back of the bike.

And best of all total cost.... 0 dollars !!
I did the same thing to mine. It really looks A LOT better that way. It kinda looks like the plate mount on the tri-bar tail light. Here is a crappy pic of mine...

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/022B5A64E6CF483EB906B8D54B49CE20.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Blackness,
Nice job on the plate mounting.
Are those LED's in your turn signals and if so what kind, brand/model are they and how do you like them?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM
blackness
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Blackness,
Nice job on the plate mounting.
Are those LED's in your turn signals and if so what kind, brand/model are they and how do you like them?
Yes those are LEDs, the cheap ones from AutoZone. Everyone I rode with said they were very hard to see unless you were staring right at them. I have since changed back to the standard 1156 amber bulb, they give much better visibility.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: blackness
Yes those are LEDs, the cheap ones from AutoZone. Everyone I rode with said they were very hard to see unless you were staring right at them. I have since changed back to the standard 1156 amber bulb, they give much better visibility.
Been there done that one too. But I also noticed that you like the clear lenses, me too.
I found a nice alternative to the crappy LED's that's also brighter than the stock amber bulb. Sylvania Silverstars, they have a sligtly bluish tintwhen the bulb is off but light up very bright amber when on.

Here's what they look like off, please excuse the different turn signal locations. I origianlly took the pic to show how the different relocation systems looked.

Name:  IMG_4136.jpg
Views: 21473
Size:  89.6 KB

Its actually kind of hard to get a decent pic of them as the camera flash or bright sunlight makes them show up slightly amber tinted to the camera. Butthey look more blueish to the naked eye.
You can find them on the light bulb racks in clear packaging at the localAuto Zone so you can see what they look like before you buy them.

Ride safe

The following users liked this post:
Dresser G (01-20-2022)
Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM
blackness
Cruiser

Here is a better pic I took today of the license plate mount cut down. I just used a cutoff wheel on a die grinder but you could use a hacksaw and sand the fuzz off the edges after you cut it. This mod is really easy and really looks A LOT better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/922777139A16481BBDB2C3A96A5A7C2C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
jb55
Cruiser

Blackness, that's pretty much how mine looks. It really cleans up the back of the bike. Nice job.

JB.

Quick Reply: DIY Cheap Mods