Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on power commander v

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
DeepDiggerWV
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on power commander v

My xl1200c is giving me fits! Since new, at low speed, going thru town etc., I seem to have a sputtering problem, almost like it's starving for fuel. I did the stage 1 upgrade and download, along with Rush 2.0 slipons, did wonders for the mid/top end, but still sputtering round town.

Now my questions is, will the power commander help with this problem? If it will, is there any foreseeable problems (fitment) using this and the Mustang wide vintage 2up seat? I read on the PCV website it might not fit with aftermarket seats.

UPDATE: Installed the PCV today, and man what a difference!! Unit fit perfectly under the Mustang seat, gone are the sputtering at low speeds and the popping on decel, it's like a whole new bike!. Rode about 125 miles today before having to beat feet back to the homestead, staying just ahead of an approaching front. FuelMoto hit this nail on the head!

Last edited by DeepDiggerWV; 08-21-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: update to original post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 AM
JerryZZ
6th Gear

I am running the PCV on my 08R with the Mustang Vintage Wide Solo. The seat is tight around the plug. Have to push a bit to get it down, but that's it. You really have to just follow the included instructions exactly and it barely fits. You may need to have the shop undo the Stage1 being most of the maps are based on the baseline chip. Once getting the PCV, I think this is the easiest and most versatile of the fuelers. Mine just runs great and thats it. Can't ask for more than that.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say its had this issue since new, was that in completely stock form? If so, I would have taken it right back to the shop. How slow are you going when it does this? Maybe you're just lugging the engine?

If the cause of the problem was just due to the engine needing more fuel down low, I would think that doing the download would have helped somewhat. If that didn't change anything then you might have another issue.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM
DeepDiggerWV
Novice

Originally Posted by ranalli7777
When you say its had this issue since new, was that in completely stock form? If so, I would have taken it right back to the shop. How slow are you going when it does this? Maybe you're just lugging the engine?

If the cause of the problem was just due to the engine needing more fuel down low, I would think that doing the download would have helped somewhat. If that didn't change anything then you might have another issue.
Yeah, I had it back to the dealer, more or less told me it's the nature of the beast, lol. Not lugging, just seems to do it when barley on the throttle, but def not lugging. I called fuel moto today and the tech I spoke with said he has heard this before, and since I have the popping on decel, think I am gonna try a PCV.
From what the tech told me, the HD download really doesn't do much in the way of remapping as its a stock download for ALL the bikes, just more or less raises the rev limit. Now I gotta compare the stock seat to the mustang for clearance at the dip.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had experience with a HD download but what fuel moto said makes sense to me! I can honestly say that since adding the pcv/autotune, my bike runs really well. You won't be disappointed. Good luck with the seat!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
brkbstrd
Intermediate

I've had a PC5 with autotune on my 07 for a little over a year now, it works fine, has a couple little glitches though. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the TTS Mastertune

Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine was real choppy at low speed especially in playground/school ground where the limit is 20MPH, after the PCV it's a lot smoother at those speeds, and of course runs a lot better at all speeds.
I ordered mine from Fuelmoto and was very happy with their service, they set it all up so it was just plug & play, I had it dyno'd this spring and it's just about dead on with the map they supplied.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 08-09-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am running a techflusion controller- with v&h straightshots and ness sucker. after tuning, this bike runs perfectly from start up cold to full warm. no difference in performance- all just a very great running bike.
does your bike hesitate upon accel? if so, it could be too lean. also check the temp. with a fuel controller you should be running under 200.

more info on mine:
http://www.techlusion.com/

Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM
DeepDiggerWV
Novice

Bumping Update to OP