Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
We should switch, my ABS kicks on all the time. If I hit a tiny bump while braking, it totally releases the brakes for a second.

I upgraded my suspension. Since then my ABS doesn't kick in like it used to. Ohlins made a world of difference. They keep my rear wheel in contact with the pavement. No more random ABS kicking in.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM
rdglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Wanting opinions and maybe good and bad points of abs on the bike..

I don't think there are any options really. In spite of the anti-ABS naysayers and their swearing by regular brakes I have many years of both braking systems. (50)

I am here today because of ABS brakes.

Their stopping power is the best, no more of that bucking off your bike in extreme braking situations. In the past five years I have never worried about my 09's Road Glide 09's ABS stopping, and believe me I have had to use them is some very tight situations...especially with all the ******** who are driving around texting...and have come out of it thanking the great brakes. In the old days you knew there was no chance, now there is a feeling of security I could never have had with my Low Rider or even on my anti-dive FLHTP. In my opinion ABS are the best. Other riders have different roads and places to go. For me in a large urban city I need brakes that keep me up.

Straight and sure is what ABS does.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
We should switch, my ABS kicks on all the time. If I hit a tiny bump while braking, it totally releases the brakes for a second.
This was my biggest beef with my ABS, but just one quick pump on the brakes and it resets. I used to keep pressure on the pedal and the bike would glide along with no rear brake.

Just pump it quick and the brake is right back on, or better yet you have to anticipate when you're going to hit those bumps and apply the brake accordingly so it won't lock up.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

For me ABS the first option and then color. My reflexes are not as fast as a sensors and I can still vividly remember locking up my 1975 Honda 750 on a wet road covered with leaves on a fall ride, I was bullet proof back then now I wear bullet proof vests so to speak. I would get use to ABS its going to be on every Harley before long

Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The HD ABS sucks if you ride in any way different than an old lady or on a lot of uneven roads. Those of you that will attack me are complete idiots and have no clue.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
SilverV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many who swear by ABS also wear ATGATT (helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants, etc.). It's interesting to read posts by guys who claim ABS saved them 3 times in the last 6 months (+ or -). ABS is not going to save you if you need it that often. Riding skills should be a priority.

I've been riding for 35 years and have only had to stop quickly on one or two occasions and never in a life/death situation. I have ABS on my BMW, but my Ducati and my RK do not. Intelligent riding, avoiding large groups, appropriate riding distance and competent skillset including manuverability, are going to save you many times beyond what ABS will. Stupidity is a bigger enemy than any deer, car or pedestrian. If your reaction in an emergency is to simply stomp on the rear brake as several have mentioned, you need to take a class. It's all about modulation based on conditions.

Given the choice, yes I'd probably prefer to have ABS, but assuming that every wreck would have been avoided if ABS were present is just wrong. Also, a properly maintained braking system, including fluid change is equally important and often ignored. Brake flush is very easy until an ABS circuit gets involved.

Last edited by SilverV; 11-10-2013 at 07:10 PM.