2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
​​​​​​
After my back surgery in March I was back on the bike in early April. At that time only had about 350 miles on the bike. Since then I'm now comming up on 4500 miles and I have also had no issues with my Cherry to speak of.

The Gas cap may buzz a bit, but when I hear it I just give it turn for a few clicks and then back off to the slight snug point and it stops. And, yes the speedo was foging but the desicant packs seem to help minimize the foging.

Now I do have a question for yawl. Is your M8 (specifically those with the 107) using any oil? Mine was down about 3/4 quart since the 1K service and the change to SYN3 (about 3k miles). Dealer service techs said this is about normal.

Been doing more 2 up riding of late and thought maybe the additional load my contribute to the oil consumption. Also, I can see and feel some oil collection on the air filter. Dirt and dust I would expect, but not a considerbale amount of oil. Any thoughts?
Frank, 4,000 miles on mine and not using any oil.
Cheers

Old 09-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Philzy
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Thanks for the offer but It was returned to Revzilla for refund.
I hope you sent it back in pristine condition because I think I just bought your return off revzilla for 24% off regular price plus my $30 revzilla bucks.

I tried the grasshopper backrest on the stock seat but it was too flimsy and flexed way too much to offer any real support. The grasshopper will be up for sale soon.

The following users liked this post:
moose545 (12-28-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Anyone else noticed this re clutch?

When I first bought the bike it took some getting used to the clutch. It did not engage until the lever was almost all the way out. With a few thousand miles the clutch now engages about half way out. Certainly there can't be much wear in that few miles. Just things wearing in or what? Dealer adjusted the clutch at 1K service. Thinking about readjusting it at the clutch basket but that red tab thing on the cable looks easy to break.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
When I first bought the bike it took some getting used to the clutch. It did not engage until the lever was almost all the way out. With a few thousand miles the clutch now engages about half way out. Certainly there can't be much wear in that few miles. Just things wearing in or what? Dealer adjusted the clutch at 1K service. Thinking about readjusting it at the clutch basket but that red tab thing on the cable looks easy to break.
I had to adjust the free play on the clutch handle after about 3 or 4K miles. And yes that red clip makes you nervous because it seems to hold everything together and is certainly easy to break. There's a few posts in here about how to remove it without breaking the tabs.

I would not think that your actual clutch would become that much out of adjustment. Seems like a lot to me. Do you feel like the handle free play has also become greater? May be a combination of both things for you.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kenny55
I had to adjust the free play on the clutch handle after about 3 or 4K miles. And yes that red clip makes you nervous because it seems to hold everything together and is certainly easy to break. There's a few posts in here about how to remove it without breaking the tabs.

I would not think that your actual clutch would become that much out of adjustment. Seems like a lot to me. Do you feel like the handle free play has also become greater? May be a combination of both things for you.
The lever free play is a bit larger. Will have to search for removing the red tab.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Anybody know if a one piece clutch cable is made for this bike. I do not like the two piece. Point of failure. Unacceptable.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Anybody know if a one piece clutch cable is made for this bike. I do not like the two piece. Point of failure. Unacceptable.
i just put a Motion Pro on mine that is one piece. had to upgrade because of the 16" apes

Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Well. I adjusted my clutch yesterday. Getting the red tab out of the cable was easier than expected. I read some of the "how too's" on this forum. One of them spelled out the procedure perfectly. And another one, if followed, would ensure your clutch was not properly adjusted. I found the service manual a bit confusing. After doing it, the manual is correct, but does not explain the process in a way that made sense to me. This video explains it perfectly for anyone interested in doing it themselves.

Last edited by martin10; 09-24-2018 at 11:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by martin10:
Dave 2 (09-30-2018), kenny55 (09-24-2018), Rebel420 (10-01-2019)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had Trixie, the '18 Heritage Classic 114, a year now and am still loving it. However, there was a few things I wanted to change...isn't there always! So I finally got the big stuff finished. She's now got 14" apes and new risers, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 pipes and PV tune, and a low profile primary cover with wrinkle finish. Loving it! The bars made the ride so much more comfortable and my leg seldom touches that low profile primary, no more heat. I noticed the new 2019 models have them!

Thanks to Larry and Isa at Capt. Itch for the necessary crotch cooler and the redesigned tank bib. I didn't like the original tear drop shape and Isa fixed it! Mean City Cyclle did their magic on the seat with a tail bone channel, better foam and thinning out the nose.

So the only thing left on my list is new wheels. Still looking......

Sorry pics are in the shade but I was out and about and in a hurry!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM
TrqUSMC
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeRides
I've had Trixie, the '18 Heritage Classic 114, a year now and am still loving it. However, there was a few things I wanted to change...isn't there always! So I finally got the big stuff finished. She's now got 14" apes and new risers, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 pipes and PV tune, and a low profile primary cover with wrinkle finish. Loving it! The bars made the ride so much more comfortable and my leg seldom touches that low profile primary, no more heat. I noticed the new 2019 models have them!

Thanks to Larry and Isa at Capt. Itch for the necessary crotch cooler and the redesigned tank bib. I didn't like the original tear drop shape and Isa fixed it! Mean City Cyclle did their magic on the seat with a tail bone channel, better foam and thinning out the nose.

So the only thing left on my list is new wheels. Still looking......

Sorry pics are in the shade but I was out and about and in a hurry!

Where did you get that sissy bar? Looks great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread