Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Interesting. I don't think I've seen that one before.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that one before.
i forgot the builder name he mentioned but it was an outfit in CA.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

It's a Dakota Digital gauge.
Amazon Amazon

Really complete feature set, but quite a bit bigger and more expensive than the Motogadget (which has less functions, tho)

Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Moving some clutter from the daily thread...

Still waiting on the weather to allow me to get back out to my wet, unheated garage so I can finish tthis damn build. Soon!

The "eagle" has landed. Researching foam, adhesives, and leather for the new seat... Heading to Tandy leather tomorrow after lunch with friends.

Made a custom turnbuckle for the top engine link...

Got the leather, cement, and metal needed to finish the seat. Had to get a whole hide...so I guess some custom bags are in my future.

Still need some nice rivets.

Zeroing in on the padding. Using cheap foam i had laying around for prototyping. Still need to order the good stuff. Two 1/4" layers of differently contoured neoprene and one 1/8" layer of closed cell polyethylene.

On a whim I decided to order some 3 watt LED bolts to replace the 1 watters that came with the Delt Fab lever signals. Should be a direct swap. I didn't yet tear the levers apart to verify the thread pitch, but the external dimensions were the same so I'm pretty confident. If not, I'll make them work one way or t'other.

Oznium
3W vs 1W (both 11mm)
23 lumen vs 10 lumen
Stainless vs Aluminum
180 degree viewing angle vs 60
IP68 vs IP67

I've been using these in my cars for years (interior lighting...dome/map/trunk/engine bay... I absolutely love them.

ETA...

Tore apart the levers. The 3W and 1W are direct swaps. Delt Fab appears to be using Oznium LEDs...or maybe clones. The one I took out isn't quite as nicely finished as the Oznium I had. Not that it matters. It worked fine. The colorless one below is the Amber that I took out. The yellow one is a warm white I had laying around.

The 1W is .81", effectively flush at the back side.

The 3W is even shorter at .61"

If you need them, there are dimensioned drawings on the page at Oznium.

Pete included a logo plate with the seat pan but being polished stainless, it didn't really show up on the polished aluminum where I'm putting it. After a few ideas that didn't suit me, I think I found one...an embossed leather backer. 10 ton press, a little water, and Viola. I like it...now, I just have to resist the urge to make the pan out of carbon fiber. What's wrong with me!?

Also learning the techniques, tools, and settings to sew leather on my vintage sewing machine.

Now I need to work on the pattern making...

Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Got the 3W Oznium bolts today. It's 35 and raining so I'll get some shots of them illuminated later. At the least I'll get some night shots to compare brightness and beam pattern once it gets dark.

Anyway...
3W on left. 1W on right.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

This is the best build thread!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks! Sorry I move so slow...

Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks! Sorry I move so slow...
Considering most bike owners never do half of this in a lifetime, I wouldn't worry about being slow...

It really looks like things are coming together. I'm very interested to see what happens with the seat. I haven't had a true hand-built seat in decades, but I often think about it... The only time I've done so, I didn't actually do it all myself as you are. I just made a steel pan the way I wanted it, chose some leather, and brought it to a local upholsterer for completion.

I really love how completely clean your bars/hand controls are shaping up to be, without losing any functionality. Super cool!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:32 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks. I like learning new skills and having the satisfaction of looking at something I did myself. It can take a long time for me to research and learn...before ever picking up a tool. Then there's all the interruptions life throws at ya...and my chronic, hereditary depression holding me down.

Anyway, yeah, I've been trying hard to keep the bike 100% street legal (other than noise, cause I gotta put my thumb in the Man's eye at least a little)...without giving up much in the way of aesthetics. I'd really rather have a totally stripped down chop with no signals, switchgear, or gauges. That's not real friendly on the streets and I like to actually commute or travel....do more than parades, poker runs, or constantly look over my shoulder for flashing lights.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Then there's all the interruptions life throws at ya...and my chronic, hereditary depression holding me down.
Yup, runs in my family too. Motivated one day, nothing but doom and gloom the next three... It doesn't help that my mother is battling pancreatic cancer, and my ex-wife and I (we're close friends) just had to say goodbye to Louis due to kidney disease. He was a truly special companion:

But anyway, I'm really enjoying your progress! Thanks for documenting it so well for all of us!

Do you think it'll fire up this year?

Quick Reply: CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread