Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
They weren't refusing to do warranty work, they were refusing to do ANY work. I offered to pay them to do what ever it takes and they refused to look at it until the PCV was removed. After it was removed (I removed in in their parking lot in the pouring rain because they didn't want to do it.) they still didn't want to touch it, but I could wait around and see if they could get the bike in - maybe Saturday, maybe next Monday... no garantee. I was on a road trip that ended that weekend and other riders were waiting on me so we could get home.

Screw that! I went to Missoula H-D (After having a total failure on the interstate and getting the bike towed at my expense.). BTW - I received excellent service from Missoula H-D. I was back on the road in a couple of hours after they determined it was a broken wire to the throttle body.

You really can't be defending this dealership when they will do that to a rider. You actually need the whole story, it's worse than the short summary I just posted.
I agree Montana HD is the best or the best, they are my local dealer but I also know the story that thunderbolt went thru trying to do the right thing and it came back and bit them in the *** and believe me if I was in their shoes I would have probably done the same. Sounds like just bad luck and timing. I guess the reason I defend them is they got me in when my new bike decided to puke on me during Evel Knievil days and there were jam packed. Thier exact words were We will get you in when we can and lo and behold 2 hours later I was in and an hour later I was back out on the road.

And you are right I do not kow your whole story but I do know they were on thin ice and if my business was on thin ice I would be gun shy too. sorry it had to happen to you tho.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jamie - i will be placing my order in next 2 weeks for the PV.. any update if the AT for the NB stock o2 sensors will be included by then ?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
jamie - i will be placing my order in next 2 weeks for the PV.. any update if the AT for the NB stock o2 sensors will be included by then ?
The Auto Tune basic application will be a bit, as they are first focusing on getting AT Pro released

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I agree Montana HD is the best or the best, they are my local dealer but I also know the story that thunderbolt went thru trying to do the right thing and it came back and bit them in the *** and believe me if I was in their shoes I would have probably done the same.
I know for a fact that at the time I was treated so badly by the Butte H-D dealership (Copper Canyon not Thunderbolt) they had not been reprimanded by H-D. I'm sure they were reprimanded after I reported their behaviour to H-D, they deserved it. You need to keep in mind this has absolutely nothing to do with a warranty claim! This was simply a request to fix my '08 RKC at a H-D dealership.

Let's get this thread back on track. You are missing the main point I was trying to make about dealers not wanting to work on your bike if they see you have a tuner installed (PCV or other). Whether your bike is on warranty or off warranty, it is the dealers discretion to work on your bike or not and I personally wouldn't let that determine which tuner I use. If you are the type of person to worry about it or your dealer is **** about these things you may need/want to keep your bike 100% stock - either to ensure you don't void your warranty or in case you end up at a dealer with the same attitude as I describe above.

My example was to show that each dealer will react differently. My local dealer appears like they could care less if I have a tuner installed. They even let me work with them in the dyno room because they had limited experience with the PCV. And "Yes", they know I do all my own work on my bike.

Last edited by badjustbad; 03-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
For me, maintaining warranty isn't as important as having fun with my bike.
I agree 100%, and when I got my bike it wasn't a week before I had a PCIII installed, and it wasn't long that an oil-cooler, OTG, and a number of other minor mods were added. Again, my dealer is very laid-back about this type of thing, even if you install the stuff yourself, so I had no real worries. I installed the cams after the warranty expired, however, not for any reason except that it took me that long to decide which cams were right for me.

One thing I didn't expect was... I'll make my long story very short.... I was refused service by Butte H-D because I was running a PCV. I wasn't even looking for warranty work, although it could have been covered. I simply wanted my bike fixed and I told them I didn't care what the cost was. They wouldn't touch it until the PCV was removed. Here is where I cut the story short - I never got the work done at Butte H-D.
That's really stupid.

1 - Stay away from Butte H-D.
2 - Stay away from Butte H-D at all cost.
Put out an APB on that. I hope others warn of other such unscrupulous dealers.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 PM
snowman2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! Amazing insight from users and developers! I am very close to buying a PV. It appears to be the cutting edge of programmers in many ways. In other ways catching up and over coming what others do well. I will be visiting Jamie @ FM for a dyno run after I choose my cams. Unless another matches my setup and a map is available.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The next FW version will likely have at least an instant MPG gauge, which updates about once per second. This would be great! We could datalog that signal along with others (MAP, RPM, TP, engine temp, etc.) and determine what conditions are using the most fuel, what gears are the best at what speeds, etc. It may also include an average MPG gauge that can be reset on-the-fly and retain its data. IOW, you could set it at the beginning of a trip and expect it to give an average for the entire trip.

They are also reportedly going to add another useful feature, which is to return to the last gauge state after booting. With the present FW version you must punch two buttons to return to the gauge screen.I've had a few occasions where I've punched the wrong button on the screen while the bike is running, usually with gloves on, and in bright sunlight can't see what to push to exit and start over. Going right to the gauges will be a big improvement, IMO.

Also, a bug in WinPV prevents the datalogger to transfer >2mb of data to a CSV file, so beyond that point the file is truncated. This has been fixed in the newest version also to be released soon.

Anyone else have any updates on their experiences with PV? Mine's doing fine and I leave the module on the bike at all times. I really like the gauges, and have been datalogging quite a bit. This has shown me where my spark-knock occurs and has allowed me to tune it out.

Last edited by iclick; 03-21-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
The next FW version will likely have at least an instant MPG gauge, which updates about once per second. This would be great! We could datalog that signal along with others (MAP, RPM, TP, engine temp, etc.) and determine what conditions are using the most fuel, what gears are the best at what speeds, etc. It may also include an average MPG gauge that can be reset on-the-fly and retain its data. IOW, you could set it at the beginning of a trip and expect it to give an average for the entire trip.

They are also reportedly going to add another useful feature, which is to return to the last gauge state after booting. With the present FW version you must punch two buttons to return to the gauge screen.I've had a few occasions where I've punched the wrong button on the screen while the bike is running, usually with gloves on, and in bright sunlight can't see what to push to exit and start over. Going right to the gauges will be a big improvement, IMO.

Also, a bug in WinPV prevents the datalogger to transfer >2mb of data to a CSV file, so beyond that point the file is truncated. This has been fixed in the newest version also to be released soon.

Anyone else have any updates on their experiences with PV? Mine's doing fine and I leave the module on the bike at all times. I really like the gauges, and have been datalogging quite a bit. This has shown me where my spark-knock occurs and has allowed me to tune it out.
Keep talkin, mines in the mailbox. I keep learning things about Powervision on this forum all the time. Good job!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

Iclick...thanks for playing intermediary with the developers. I'm also using the 4-up gauge screen with white background and dark numbers. What 4 metrics do you find most useful?

I would also suggest that there should be some mechanism for renaming a a tune file in the 6 slots. Are they giving you any sense of timing for the NB sensor "basic" auto tune?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,106 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I would also suggest that there should be some mechanism for renaming a a tune file in the 6 slots. Are they giving you any sense of timing for the NB sensor "basic" auto tune?
In WinPv you can rename any tune file to your preference and choose the slot you would like to place it. The AT basic is still out a bit, at the moment all efforts are currently focused on getting AT Pro ready to go

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread