Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:19 AM
4drocket
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a RGS in sept last year, has over 8k on it now, it was built in march of last year so it likely has the old oil pump which worries me. its been in the shop three times for an oil leak up front. first time they told me it was "normal blowby" from the air cleaner, next time they tell me its the rocker box gaskets, this time they tell me its the head gaskets. i have read all the threads here and see it could be the motor mount too. f*** it. i love this bike but i am pissed at myself for buying the first year model. its what i get every time i break one of my rules of living i come to rue the day. i rode to thunder in the rockies last year and messed up by doing the demo ride. what a night and day difference it was for me from my 2010 ultra. oh well. i want to sump this thing to stick it to the moco. is it just me or do the materials seem less substantial than older year bikes? i also have a 94 dyna and an 02 RK

Last edited by 4drocket; 07-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:28 AM
ssmarkom3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Stage 3 from dealer piston issues twice

Hello,
Im seeking info on anyone else that has had stage 3 issues with piston. Milwaukee 8, 2017 piston failure at 1400 miles. Piston failure again at 2500 miles. Engine was running, pinging really hard. Most likely would have seized up. Purchased new with stage 3 at Avalanche Harley in Denver. First repair at Pikes Peak Harley in Colorado Springs. It is in shop for second repair at Pikes Peak. What is the best step to contact Harley to take a closer look. I may have a lemon on my hands!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:56 AM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I’m confused

Originally Posted by ssmarkom3
Hello,
Im seeking info on anyone else that has had stage 3 issues with piston. Milwaukee 8, 2017 piston failure at 1400 miles. Piston failure again at 2500 miles. Engine was running, pinging really hard. Most likely would have seized up. Purchased new with stage 3 at Avalanche Harley in Denver. First repair at Pikes Peak Harley in Colorado Springs. It is in shop for second repair at Pikes Peak. What is the best step to contact Harley to take a closer look. I may have a lemon on my hands!
Why would you not have the dealer advocate for you?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:06 PM
ssmarkom3
2nd Gear

I have spoke to dealer, not real confident with their answers so far. My warranty expires 03/19.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 PM
ssmarkom3
2nd Gear

Avalanche installed first stage 3. Pikes peak repaired it and their piston repair failed, Now are possibly blaming Avalanche. Difficult situation

Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by gaspump4u
2018 street glide went on a 300 mile run came to a stop light thought it was in first gear was in second had to shut bike off to get into first went about 5 miles netrual light came on pulled over let the clutch out and leaped forward with netrual light on got it into gear after that would not go into any other gear had to have it towed brought to dealership took about a week to get a call back metal shavings in transmission 3weeks later they got the parts still haven’t repaired it’s going to be 5 weeks before I get it back not happy

Its amazing that it only took 3 weeks to get the parts for a current model bike huh ?
Had to put up with the same bullshit for my 17 custom,
brand new bike and no dealer parts for the warranty repair

Good Grief 😩
Wiz

Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by reds2tall54
So i have a 2017 FLHXS and just hit 10,000 miles . I absolutely love this ninth Gen M8 motor .... well up to this past Sat, Only issue i've had was a cracked heat shield and the old girl would not start unless in neutral but the dealer has fixed them both under warranty BUT 2 days ago my honey and i were riding back from a run/BBQ just cruising along and i gave her a little mouth full and she started making this god awful noise from motor area mechanical noise and lost power like dead spot on the throttle. Weirdest noise and issue because this bike has been the best running and performing bike stock i've ever owed (stock wise) . I've been wrenching most of my life and still do. Not on scooters but EVERYTHING else . Anyway the noise was not pinging, it was like metal hitting metal type of noise . The bike runs perfect as long as ya dont give her any gas but only certain ways its really hard to explain in words but the motor noise scared me enough to take it to the dealer and at this time i have no faith in this dealer... I'm sure i'll get the call saying they cant replicate the noise or loss of power ... anyway i use the best of the best gas,oil,filters, everything .. Hell i'm even removing my slider door in the back part of my house and installing 8 foot slider so i can get her in the house instead of the lonely ol garage.lol !
Huge pistons, like the ones in the M8, can make the sound you described during detonation. Basically a really big detonation, knocking, and the loss of power is likely the computer sensing it and retarding your timing and increasing fuel to reduce the risk of damage. Mine does it when idling hot and I blip the throttle (well, about 1/8 times), it knocks once upon the twist. It sounds like a 40oz hammer striking a heavy but hollow chunk of oak.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klc997
I have two 05s (Ultra... with some stuff and a CVO that has been worked) that will kick the **** out of anything bone stock. The new 107 or 114, take your pick.
prove it, please.

The following 2 users liked this post by Toolmaster:
Mark Faulkner (07-23-2018), QNman (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LiiT
Even if I was interested in buying a new Knot Head, I think I'd wait for a while. I don't think Harley has ever come out with a new engine that didn't need some tweaking.
"Knot Head" ???
Is this actually the new nickname for the M8?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Guess we will see how this thread goes. Hopefully we get some real info if there is a problem from someone with no bias. I can say my dealer has wanted my bike in trade for the last year. Its a Breakout with lots of upgrades. I love my Breakout and told him he would get it out of my cold dead hands. But after test riding a Bagger (Milwaukee eight) I am considering it. I am 100% sure there will be problems, but if there are Harley will stand behind their bikes. And I have a really good dealer to work with.
And now for a real problem (or potential):
I borrowed a 2018 FLCHS from my dealer for a day while mine was in repair, the valve train was squeaking really loud. Mine was, but the cylinders were fractures in the accident with a car, they fixed the squeaking. I am guessing the factory installed something wrong on these.

Quick Reply: M8 problems